Window Shuffler inquiry

This app could really be a game changer. I have figured out some of its function, however, the there are mysteries remaining. An example that would be very useful for me is for it to function the way PopOS tiling works. To be specific, I would like an option to have a new window tile to full screen, followed by the second window creating both windows in equal split screen. A third window would open to a quarter screen along with the second opened window being made to fit quarter screen. I think this function exists because I watched a few of the Window Shuffler Youtube videos demonstrating this. There is no audio with the video and Iā€™m not sure how to make this happen. I also would want to be able to toggel the above behavior off & on if possible. Is there a more step by step tutorial or someone willing to guide me in setting this up??

1 Like

Personally, not a big fan of a rigid automatic resizing/repositioning. If I am working with application x, I would find it annoying if it would resize or move into another geometry without my explicit choice to do so. Furthermore, I would probably never want windows to be symetrically/equally sized, hence the 2/5 - 3/5 sized dragsnap option.

What you describe could relatively easily be added to the current shuffler options though, but at the same would raise a few new questions, in relation with what workflow shuffler is aiming at. It would for example clash with possibly set window rules. In fact it would be one way or the other.

If many people would like, could be considered though, but as mentioned, not the workflow shuffler has in mind.

@vlijm thank you for your thoughtful response. To be clear I am quite new to Linux and playing with the idea of it replacing the more familiar MacOS. My experience with MacOS and windows management is mostly drag and snap. I can completely understand what you say about finding the auto-size I described being annoying. Actually that is why I mentioned having the ability to toggel it off. My only other experience with window managers is in PopOS. I was trying in my first post to describe itā€™s auto behavior I guess.

Iā€™m very much enjoying trying Window Shuffler as it is ā€˜out of the boxā€™. It is very useful/functional and Iā€™m practicing the key commands to take more control of the windows. Unfortunately, I think my limited experience does not allow me to take advantage of many of itā€™s deeper features. I simply donā€™t understand how to set them up or use them. For example, you sayā€¦

" I would find it annoying if it would resize or move into another geometry without my explicit choice to do so. Furthermore, I would probably never want windows to be symetrically/equally sized, hence the 2/5 - 3/5 sized dragsnap option". Most of that statement points to part of the Window Shuffler use that I do not yet understand.

Can you point me to a tutorial of sorts that might assist me (and other novice users) better understand the more challenging aspects of Window Shuffler?
Thanks again for responding so quickly and thoughtfully!

On the: I would probably never want windows to be symetrically/equally sized, hence the 2/5 - 3/5 sized dragsnap option".

If you drag a window to the left or right side, or one of the corners, the window is moved & resized to that side or corner (half/quarter). However, if you also

• press Control + drag, the window will resize to 2/5 of the width
  • press Alt + drag, the window will resize to 3/5 of the width

Furthermore, the applet might be of use to move a group of windows into a preset arrangement:

Schermafdruk van 2023-04-16 10-34-05

The three icons at the bottom represent what their tooltips show. Center icon toggles arranging either a single window, or a group in one click.

presets can be chosen in Shuffler Settings:

A tutorial might indeed be a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

OK, as I continue to play with and learn how to use Window Shuffler I see itā€™s brilliance! Thanks for the above information, very helpful. I have one further inquiry. Iā€™ll reference your applet picture from the above post. Letā€™s say I have 3 windows open. Looking at the preset grid on the lower left corner in your picture, if I select the largest ā€˜rectangleā€™ image it turns blue and the window tiles to that location (grid) on the screen. I can than click on the other two windows 1 at a time and select the upper or lower smaller ā€˜rectanglesā€™ images to place them into their corresponding grid on the screen. Is my understanding correct, that I can somehow have all three of the windows Iā€™ve described auto shift at once to the three 'rectangle image depicted in the applet pic with one click? If so I have not been able to accomplish this. And lastly, using the same pic from above, the middle bottom row the icon displays the text, ā€œShuffle remaining windows to the layout - Toggle modeā€. Clicking on this seemingly has no effect at all for me. This probably is another aspect I simply donā€™t understand.
I have so far learned enough from our exchange here to consider this a terrific tool which I will continue to practice using. Maybe if I get good enough at using this I can try and create a tutorial for users coming from my level of experience. Continued thanks!

Is my understanding correct, that I can somehow have all three of the windows Iā€™ve described auto shift at once to the three 'rectangle image depicted in the applet pic with one click?

Absolutely! The applet has two ā€œmodesā€: single window arrangement, and the topmost -3- in this case. In the latter, the topmost window is moved to the clicked window inside the chosen layout, while the remaining two windows will move to the remaining positions. The center icon of the three at the bottom is used to toggle the behavior.

The icon on the left:
is to make the latest two active windows (just click two you want to exchange) exchange size & position.

Unfortunately, discourse does not allow screencast movies, I could show you in a movie.

Aha! This is working for me now. Itā€™s really great. Thank you for taking time to help me understand and use the features. I also discovered a helpful article from 2021 called " Window Shuffler: Tiling Window Management From Ubuntu Budgie" by Mauro Gaspari which had a couple of videos that demonstrated what I was trying to describe in action.

Iā€™m very excited about this tiling feature of Ubuntu Budgie and I find it a real game changer once I can practice using it and adopt in my workflow. Bravo!!