[26.04 Wayland] Keyboard Layout applet is completely missing and cannot be added to the panel

Hello everyone,

I am testing the new Ubuntu Budgie 26.04 release, but I have run into a critical blocker regarding the keyboard layout indicator.

The Issue:
The Keyboard Layout (or Language Switcher) applet is completely missing from my panel. When checking the system packages via terminal, it says that the budgie-desktop-environment and corresponding applets are fully installed. However, when I open Budgie Desktop Settings → Top Panel → Applets and click the “+” button, the Keyboard Layout applet does not appear in the list of available applets at all.

What I have tried so far:

  • I tried resetting the panel via budgie-panel --reset --replace, but it didn’t bring the applet back or make it appear in the settings list.
  • I attempted to use alternative input methods like iBus / ibus-setup to add a tray indicator, but these workarounds do not work or show up in the new Wayland/Labwc session either.

Because having a visible keyboard layout indicator is essential for my daily multi-language workflow, I have to downgrade and stay on Ubuntu Budgie 24.04 LTS for now until this is resolved.

Is this a known limitation of the transition to Wayland/Labwc in 26.04, or is there a specific config file (like rc.xml) or a missing experimental package I need to look into?

Thank you for your hard work on the 26.04 release!


The keyboard applet didnt make it iinto 26.04. You can follow along with progress above.

In terms of ibus, [Request] Support Ibus and fcitx for budgie desktop 10.10 · Issue #881 · BuddiesOfBudgie/budgie-desktop · GitHub

Hi @AlexVDem1!

Otherwise, if you only need two keyboard layouts, you can switch between them by pressing Shift+Alt+L.

Sometimes—not always, but I can’t seem to reproduce it anymore—this also displays an “L” this also displays an “L” that you have to delete but the switch works fine, even with UB 26.04:

azertyL
qwertyL
azerty

PS: But this works better (using the Alt+Shift combination):

setxkbmap -option grp:alt_shift_toggle fr,us