Automatic Keyboard Layout Switcher stopped working

Hi,

My favorite feature, Automatic Keyboard Layout Switcher stopped working.
I tried removing, adding, uninstalling, installing, etc. but without success.
When I add it to the panel it’s not shown (doesn’t work either, I thought it’s icon problem).

Does anybody have an idea how to re-enable it?

1 Like

Sounds odd.

From a terminal please run

budgie-panel --replace &

Then add the applet to the panel. Any errors or warnings displayed in the terminal?

Thanks for quick reply.
There are CRITICAL messages.

(budgie-panel:10354): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 19:01:01.255: gtk_widget_destroy: assertion ‘GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)’ failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/budgie-desktop/plugins/budgie-keyboard-autoswitch/budgie-keyboard-autoswitch.py”, line 64, in do_get_panel_widget
return KeyboardAutoSwitchApplet(uuid)
File “/usr/lib/budgie-desktop/plugins/budgie-keyboard-autoswitch/budgie-keyboard-autoswitch.py”, line 122, in init
open(lang_datafile).read().strip()
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/ast.py”, line 46, in literal_eval
node_or_string = parse(node_or_string, mode=‘eval’)
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/ast.py”, line 35, in parse
return compile(source, filename, mode, PyCF_ONLY_AST)
File “”, line 0

^

SyntaxError: unexpected EOF while parsing
sys:1: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
sys:1: Warning: g_signal_emit_by_name: assertion ‘G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)’ failed

(budgie-panel:10354): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 19:01:18.065: gtk_box_pack: assertion ‘GTK_IS_WIDGET (child)’ failed

(budgie-panel:10354): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 19:01:18.065: gtk_container_child_set_valist: assertion ‘GTK_IS_WIDGET (child)’ failed

(budgie-panel:10354): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 19:01:27.492: gtk_widget_get_parent: assertion ‘GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)’ failed

(budgie-panel:10354): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 19:01:27.492: gtk_container_foreach: assertion ‘GTK_IS_CONTAINER (container)’ failed

What are the file-sizes for the two files in ~.config/budgie-extras/langswitch ?

If they are not zero bytes - what are the contents?

If they are zero bytes in size then please delete the zero byte size file(s)

1 Like

Output:

• lang_data -> empty
  • default_lang -> “us”

I’ve deleted both, re-added applet to the panel and it works again.

Thank you!

We have a solution if it happens again. If you know the cause please share.
It’s great applet by the way.
I’m using multiple inputs and I had to change it several dozen times per hour before I found this.

The Debian/Ubuntu package budgie-keyboard-autoswitch-applet is missing a reference to xdotool (this is the cause of the python exception).

Fix with:

sudo apt install xdotool

I have also noticed that after budgie-keyboard-autoswitch-applet started working, the standard Keyboard Layout applet does not get updated when Autoswitcher changes the layout. Thus Keyboard Layout applet shows incorrect layout info.

Which version of the package are you using?

Package: budgie-keyboard-autoswitch-applet
Version: 1.1.0-1
Priority: optional
Section: misc
Source: budgie-extras

But I’m not on Ubuntu, I have Debian Bookworm (amd64). I have just filled a bug report to Debian.

Bookworm will be getting v1.3 soon and xdotool will be a dependency.

The other observation should be filed here please

I have filled an issue on the github about the Keyboard Layout applet showing wrong layout info.

Thank you,
Jan W