Language switcher

Hello everyone, yesterday I upgraded to Budgie 22.04. Everything seems to work great so far, but I face an issue switching to another language.

When I switch from English (US) to Greek, although the typing language shown on the top-panel applet changes, the typing remains in English.

If I change the order from the input sources (Budgie Control Center > Keyboard > Input sources), the problem is temporarily solved, but the same thing will happen next time I will logout and login again.

I attach a relevant screenshot where the language is switched to greek (GR), but the typing is in English.

Duplicate of this

Hi @fossfreedom and thanks a lot for your quick response,

In my case, typing:

gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.input-sources sources

would return an empty array. The above solution didn’t work for me, because the command
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.input-sources sources "[('xkb', 'us'), ('xkb', 'gr')]"
wasn’t changing anything on my system.

Also, by using

setxkbmap -query

would return only the us layout.

Interestingly, setting my keyboard layout using

setxkbmap -layout us,gr

actually fixed my issue. So, I just had to autostart this command.

I guess this bug comes from the new Budgie control center and it seems pretty serious.

Again, thanks a lot for your help

No. Its nothing to-do with budgie control center. Budgie Desktop manages keyboard switching.

As you can see from the link this is one area waiting for someone to dig in and find out what the problem is.

1 Like

Hi,

Could you please try the following PPA to see if a patch i have developed resolves this issue?

First undo the workaround you have applied. Logout and login and confirm you can reproduce the original issue

Then in tilix

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/keyboard
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

Logout and login

Test if things are fixed.

Remember to purge the test PPA after testing

sudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/keyboard

I am having issue getting my layout to be changing, I have both English and Japanese on mine. The first time I had gone to type a paper for school after I reinstalled Ubuntu Budgie 22.04, the input language was set to Japanese, I got it changed to English and now, I’m not able to get it to change again. I would try selecting it through the Budgie Control Center, I also have the quick switcher applet as well, but everything is only going in English. Even Noto fonts that are supposed to be Japanese characters are only displaying in English. I tried your method for the ppa, and logged out and back in, but it is not working still. I even tried the setxkbmap -layout us,jp and when I did the query, it was showing both of them, but I still could only get English and then I even tried restarting my computer and checked the query again and it was only saying us again, instead of us,jp.

Please can you try the ppa again. On a similar thread Can't change keyboard layout - #7 by fossfreedom the latest ppa package works for us/de layouts.

I’m also experiencing this issue with US/IL keyboard layout. I would like to test the PPA but I’m not sure how to reproduce the issue. I encounter it once every two weeks or so, and I’m not sure what triggers it. Do you have any information on how to reproduce the issue, or on the status of this bug?

The PPA is described here Language switcher - #5 by fossfreedom

For some people they cannot and/or rarely reproduce the issue. Others it happens all the time at logon.

So there isn’t really a way to ‘reproduce’ the issue other than regularly rebooting and logging in.

In terms of status of the issue - I need good folk like yourself to try and convince themselves that the issue is resolved via that PPA before we can proceed to formalising the fix via launchpad and the SRU process.

Okay, I understand. I will install the PPA and see if the issue seems to be resolved.

I can confirm that the issue is resolved for me with the PPA.

Thanks fossfreedom, the solution above solved it for me, I was trying to switch from US English to Canadian French

Thanks again!

Excellent - that’s two people :slight_smile: Plus some members of the team. That has convinced me to move forward with rolling this change out formally to everyone via a Stable Release Update.

I will ping folks once we have something to formally test with in agreement with the Ubuntu Release team.

Thanks Fossfreedom, also successfully tested it, works pretty good after rebooting too!
(My issue was switching Norwegian, English, Spanish keyboards)

What doesn’t seem to work now is the Keyboard AutoSwitch applet. The Exceptions field is now permanently disabled.
But the Keyboard Layout applet seems to be working just fine.

hmm. Doubtful this is anything to-do with the proposed fix. Please raise this here so that we can get to the bottom of this GitHub - UbuntuBudgie/budgie-extras: Additional Budgie Desktop enhancements for user experience