@HEBJ and @Steven - hello there!
Hey guys I just realized what the problem actually is going on here. Because it happend to myself too for a while. And again today.
To re-state the problem:
- You go to “Gnome Settings” app
- You go to “Input Sources”
- You add your keyboard layout
- It is the correct keyboard layout (for your language, letters etc.)
- You apply and use the Layout
- HOWEVER the layout does not work, or some letters are in fact dead (missing)
- Or the layout SOMETIMES does works. But then later on sometimes it does not work
- You add layouts, you remove layouts and add them back.
- However it’s still buggy / bugged. Problem re appears again
So what is the problem?
I discovered because it’s happening (yet again). So the problem in fact is:
- There is a real bug in this software
- It occurs repeatably, and consistently
How to repeat / reproduce?
- The bug is missing keys (or ‘dead keys’). You hit the key it does not print anything
- It always occurs ONLY on the 1st keyboard layout that is TOP of the list
- If you add multiple keyboards, and re-arrange / drag the list ordering
- Then the bug will occur when the TOP keyboard is selected
So what is the WORKAROUND ?
- Add a keyboard you never use as item number #1
- For example: I added “Greek” keyboard (because I am NOT Greek person)
- Then I will never want to select this option from the list of Input Methods
All of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th Keyboards all seems to then work OK fine. Whatever you put in the extra multiple entry slots.
@fossfreedom so I guess you know what I am going to say right? Well… there is a real bug here we can verify now. However I do not know where is the software which is created the bug actually exist. Is it the responsibility of Solus, of Ubuntu Budgie, or of Gnome, elsewhere?
Perhaps there is already a bug raised elsewhere (in other project). For the time being I am just very grateful and happy that we have a WORKAROUND. So that we know how to get past this problem here.
However other people will not understand this. Because the bug is non-obvious. It is difficult to know how to avoid the bug. Unless you come here and read this Ticket