Can't change keyboard layout

Hi,

I’m trying to toggle between English (US) and Thai keyboard layouts. I have both set up in the “Region & Language” options in the settings, and I set “Super+Space” to toggle between them, and I have it set to be the same for all windows.

The language indicator applet correctly shows the languages changing between “US” and “TH”, but it hasn’t actually done anything - I’m still typing in English regardless. I have rebooted the machine.

However, if I go into the options and manually re-order the languages (dragging Thai to be above English US), I’m typing in Thai as expected - so the Thai language definitely works. But it’s obviously very inconvenient to do this - I have to switch between languages mid-sentence frequently.

Would could be going wrong here? How can I debug?

I found this guy having the same problem, but I don’t know if he got it resolved:

Interestingly, if I mess around with the language order the settings, the language switcher starts working again, until I log out or reboot, then it’s broken again. So I guess a temporary workaround is to do this every time I log in - so something must be bugged.

Any ideas?
Thanks a lot!

1 Like

I can confirm the observation under 21.10 - I’ve no idea though why its happening.

You could script something like this:

First get the list of sources:

gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.input-sources sources

e.g.

gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.input-sources sources
[('xkb', 'gb'), ('xkb', 'us'), ('xkb', 'th')]

Then in your script change around the order - sleep and then reset back again. That seems to work for me e.g.

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.input-sources sources "[('xkb', 'th'), ('xkb', 'us'), ('xkb', 'gb')]
sleep 3
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.input-sources sources "[('xkb', 'gb'), ('xkb', 'us'), ('xkb', 'th')]

This as an autostart script should work

SOURCES=`gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.input-sources sources`
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.input-sources sources "[('xkb', 'de')]"
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.input-sources sources "$SOURCES"

The second line doesn’ matter since it is reset by the third line.

1 Like

Nice, that did the trick!! Thanks a lot!

I figure this must annoy a lot of people. Now that you’ve confirmed it, I think I should raise it as a bug so it can get prioritised and fixed.

1 Like

Think it will need someone to dig into budgie-desktop code and somehow figure out what the fix is - then submit it to upstream. It won’t get fixed until someone delves in.

1 Like

Today I have just installed Ubuntu Budgie, but I couldn’t type Thai language keyboard.

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.input-sources sources "[('xkb', 'us'), ('xkb', 'th')]"
sleep 3
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.input-sources sources "[('xkb', 'us'), ('xkb', 'th')]"

Now, I can type Thai.
Are there any resolutions for your bug report ?

Hi all

Could you please try the following PPA to see if a patch i have developed resolves this issue?

First undo the workaround you have applied. Logout and login and confirm you can reproduce the original issue

Then in tilix

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/keyboard
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

Logout and login

Test if things are fixed.

Remember to purge the test PPA after testing

sudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/keyboard

Not the OP, but I have usually 2 keyboards installed (US/DE) and noticed the keyboard switcher wasn’t working anymore in 22.04 after I noticed that when in US keyboard, my compose key setup to get the odd German Umlaut I need wouldn’t work anymore.

Applying the fix via PPA as above didn’t solve the keyboard switcher issue for me (I’m still getting US regardless of what’s selected), but I can use the compose key again. However - the logout/login might have solved that separately from the fix.

Thx. For testing. Ok. More head scratching is needed.

I have updated the ppa with another try at this issue. Please let me know how thing work out.

1 Like

Will give it a try tonight, @fossfreedom

Sorry did not have the opportunity to try UBudgie 22.04 yet but reminds of older days, « fighting » a bit with ibus-setup…
ibus_setup_2204
( this ↑ comes from a « regular » Ubuntu 22.04 )

@fossfreedom Yay, that updated package works now (at least for my setup with en_US and de_DE). Yay, thx!

Thx for the feedback. I need to tidy stuff without hopefully breaking anything.

Once done i will ping you to help test again, together with the next steps so that i can release this officially for everyone via a repository update.

I tried as you asked me to as well, but for some reason my system is still not allowing Japanese at all, just English.

You will need to describe what you have installed in language support and what you have set up in your input sources. Screenshots please.

When you say language support, are you referring to fonts that I have installed, keyboard installed or environment language? Would you want me to take a snapshot from Synaptic for it as well as from the Budgie Control Center?

Menu - Language support

Also in budgie-control-center - click on the keyboard tab.

How can I upload the screenshots here? when I upload them, they just show the address and that is it. I’m not sure where you are referring to for the Menu - Language Support as well, I know the Budgie Control Center for the keyboard tab.

drag and drop the screenshot image from your file manager to your post here. Most screenshots are in your Pictures folder unless you have saved them somewhere like Downloads etc.

Click on the menu button on your panel and type in the search bar Language Support.