App Launcher does not work on a new 20.10 install

Hey, fossfreedom.

First of all - thanks for a great applet, I was using it all the time and loved it.

On the old laptop I had Ubuntu Gnome installed for a few years. I’ve added Budgie to it and used it instead. I’ve also installed App Launcher and it worked fine. I’ve been upgrading my Ubuntu all the time as well, and the last configuration I used was 20.10 with Budgie.

Unfortunately, on the new laptop it does not work. I installed Budgie Ubuntu 20.10 directly, to avoid cluttering the disk. I was able to configure everything else as it was before on my old laptop. But App Launcher simply does not work.

What I did was: went to the extras and installed the applet. Logged out and in as suggested. Went to the panel configuration, clicked add new applet. App Launcher was now there in the list. But clicking it doesn’t do anything. It doesn’t get added to the list, does not appear in the panel, nothing.

I tried launching the Budgie control panel as root as well, from the console, checked some logs. The only thing I saw while App Launcher installation is - some warnings about using ‘is’ instead of ‘==’, could it be something related to the Python version?

Anyway, would appreciate any help or tips. Thanks!

Some logs just in case it might help:

Selecting previously unselected package budgie-app-launcher-applet.
(Reading database … 277478 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack …/budgie-app-launcher-applet_1.1.0-1_all.deb …
Unpacking budgie-app-launcher-applet (1.1.0-1) …
Setting up budgie-app-launcher-applet (1.1.0-1) …
/usr/lib/budgie-desktop/plugins/budgie-app-launcher/AppLauncherApplet.py:384: SyntaxWarning: “is” with a literal. Did you mean “==”?
if text is “”:
/usr/lib/budgie-desktop/plugins/budgie-app-launcher/AppLauncherApplet.py:423: SyntaxWarning: “is” with a literal. Did you mean “==”?
if currentMenuButtonIndex is 0:
/usr/lib/budgie-desktop/plugins/budgie-app-launcher/AppLauncherApplet.py:437: SyntaxWarning: “is” with a literal. Did you mean “==”?
if len(self.activeApps) is 0:
/usr/lib/budgie-desktop/plugins/budgie-app-launcher/FilterHelper.py:26: SyntaxWarning: “is” with a literal. Did you mean “==”?
if searchText is “”:
/usr/lib/budgie-desktop/plugins/budgie-app-launcher/LocaleHelper.py:32: SyntaxWarning: “is not” with a literal. Did you mean “!=”?
if (path is not “”):
/usr/lib/budgie-desktop/plugins/budgie-app-launcher/Log.py:41: SyntaxWarning: “is not” with a literal. Did you mean “!=”?
if (path is not “”):
[Notification] Failed to show notification
[Apt] Reloading cache…
[Apt] Cache reloaded.

Please run in a terminal

budgie-panel --replace &

Then add the app launcher applet to the panel.

Do you see any messages in the terminal after adding the applet to the terminal?

Never ever launch any « graphical » application as root as it may corrupt permissions and rights in your personal folder.

Just for checking nothing got wrong
find ~ ! -user $USER
If everything is OK then this command will answer nothing.
If something got bad, it will list files no longer belonging to your $USER

Thanks for splitting the thread and for your reply!

Here’s what I get, when I open the Panel configuration and trying to add App Launcher (it is present in the list, but…):
** Message: 15:12:21.123: manager.vala:451: Resetting dconf path: /com/solus-project/budgie-panel/panels/{02a0d390-5417-11eb-b87f-e37d9b122eb4}/

** (budgie-panel:3415): WARNING **: 15:12:27.933: Error importing plugin ‘AppLauncher’:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/importlib/init.py”, line 127, in import_module
return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
File “”, line 1014, in _gcd_import
File “”, line 991, in _find_and_load
File “”, line 975, in _find_and_load_unlocked
File “”, line 671, in _load_unlocked
File “”, line 783, in exec_module
File “”, line 219, in _call_with_frames_removed
File “/usr/lib/budgie-desktop/plugins/budgie-app-launcher/AppLauncher.py”, line 18, in
from AppLauncherApplet import AppLauncherApplet
File “/usr/lib/budgie-desktop/plugins/budgie-app-launcher/AppLauncherApplet.py”, line 16, in
gi.require_version(‘GMenu’, ‘3.0’)
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/init.py”, line 126, in require_version
raise ValueError(‘Namespace %s not available’ % namespace)
ValueError: Namespace GMenu not available

(budgie-panel:3415): libpeas-WARNING **: 15:12:27.934: Error loading plugin ‘AppLauncher’

** (budgie-panel:3415): CRITICAL **: 15:12:27.934: manager.vala:730: Failed to find extension for: App Launcher

Thanks for the hint. I was just trying to make it work, ran out of ideas. find command returned nothing, phew :smile:

Ah - looks like there should be a dependency on gir1.2-gmenu-3.0

Install that package and check again.

Yep, that’s the one! Installed it and it works now, without restart even. Thanks a lot, mate!