Bluetooth connected at startup

Hello!

I disabled bluetooth. When I reboot the machine it goes back on to stay activated.

How do I fix it? I want it to be disabled when I turn on the computer.

v17.10 of UB ?

If so this is a known issue with the bluetooth stack - I understand it has been fixed in 18.04

17.10. Do you recommend installing the 18?

18.04 goes stable in a couple of weeks

I installed it on 18.04. Bluetooth problem continues :confused:

1 Like

please report a bug to make the ubuntu-devs aware of the issue on 18.04

ubuntu-bug bluez

I have the same issue. I thought that was intentional? If I turn off Bluetooth, it’s on with reboot.

1 Like

Hmm seems it’s has been a very common issue for a long time.

There doesn’t seem to be one answer though

I was able to workaround this in ubuntu budgie 18.04 by adding rfkill block bluetooth to my /etc/rc.local file.

This gave me the behavior I wanted where when I boot my laptop bluetooth is in airplane mode, but I can enable it from the bluetooth indicator if needed

Note: in my case the rc.local file wasn’t there by default, so I added it with these contents:

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

rfkill block bluetooth

exit 0

And then made it executable:

sudo chmod 755 /etc/rc.local

1 Like

I experienced the same problem in Ubuntu 17.10 and in 18.04. The solution I came up with was to mask Bluetooth. It worked for me in both distros.
Try doing this:

sudo systemctl mask bluetooth

That should stop Bluetooth from auto starting.

1 Like

Presumably the same command substituting “unmask” should restore it?

Unmasking it will allow you to start/stop the service again.

Exactly what I was searching for, thanks !

Strange Bluetooth state is not remembered through session - what’s different regarding bluetooth compared to default ubuntu 18.04 ( where BT state is remembered ) ?

If put in /etc/rc.local does it mean it will set this behavior for all users ?
May that command rfkill block bluetooth be put in « application at startup » for a per user preference ?

I think that way is more convenient than
sudo systemctl mask bluetooth
which demands another sudo command to enable again BT when needed.

I’ve had the same problem and I’ve solved it as follows:
On Desktop Budgie Parameters create a Command Type Autostart App with these commands:
rfkill block bluetooth

Give it name and description you like (doesn’t matter) and save. Every time you restart your computer your Bluetooth will be disabled.

This is actually even easier than I originally thought… you just need to disable bluetooth within the gnome settings | power section instead of via the bluetooth indicator icon in the system tray.

When I disable it via the gnome settings panel, it stays disabled without any further tweaks needed

Why do you have gnome-settings installed ?

It’s installed by default, budgie is basically an alternate shell running on top of gnome components.

@Coeur-Noir indeed, until budgie makes its own full settings app, gnome settings does most of the work - budgie desktop settings is for theming, panel changing, etc…