Bluetooth disconnecting wifi

Hi, I am hoping that someone can advise me on a bluetooth/wifi conflict.

I am running 18.04.4 LTS on a Dell Inspiron N7110. When I connect my bluetooth headphones, it disconnects me from wifi. This happened once before (I have only tried to use the headphones twice) and I got so mad that I reinstalled the OS but I would like to find a better fix.

I tried disconnecting the headphones, turning off bluetooth, restarting, and restarting in recovery mode but nothing worked. I then tried to connect with an ethernet cable so that I could get the wireless-info script. For the first few minutes, it would not recognise that connection but then everything suddenly everything snapped back on again. Has anyone else come across this?

I ran the wireless-info script, in case there is anything that jumps out there wireless-info.txt (27.4 KB)

Now that it is working, I could reconnect the headphones, and then run the script again after it loses the connection, if that helps to diagnose it.

I do note that, when I hover the mouse over the bluetooth icon, it says that I am connected to 1 device even though nothing is connected. If I shut bluetooth off and then turn it on again it will just say “bluetooth is activated” for a minute or two but then it goes back to saying taht it is connected.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

your wireless script shows that you are using a similar kernel module as this Q&A

Does the answer work for you?

Thank you for that. I turned off the bluetooth and wireless coexistence and that may have done the trick. I had to plug in into the router last night to run the wireless-info script. At first it wouldn’t recongnise the wired connection but, after a few minutes of frustration, it suddenly connected and it started toggling between the wired and wireless connections. It was still running slowly last night but seems back to normal today, except that it still shows that my bluetooth is connected to 1 device even though it isn’t. I am planning to try the headphones again to see if it still happens; if so, I will try the second fix of disabling 11n.
I will report back, after I have watched Battlestar Gallactica. Thank you!

That fixed it! I am running both wifi and bluetooth without a hitch. Thank you so much for your help again. This is the third time that you have helped me out with a problem and I really appreciate the time that you spend in helping people like me with what must seem like foolish questions. Thank you again!

1 Like