Budgie 18.04 Dark Theme Pocillo-Dark

With using the Picillo-dark (optional either or: dark theme = on or off and embedded theme = on or off, Symbols = hicolor) it comes out that some (elderly) webpages show up input and form fields with a dark background and dark text. Hard to see.

Furthermore “checkboxes” on bright ground #FFFFFF are invisible.

Tried to compensate by a userContent.css file with Firefox (latest):

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

input[type="text"], input[type="password"], textarea, select, option {
background-color: #292C36 !important;
color: #EFEFEF !important;
border: 1px solid #BCBCBC !important;
}

input[type="checkbox"] {
border: 2px double #BCBCBC !important;
}

input[type="radio"] {
border: 2px double #BCBCBC !important;
}

Success only partially given.
Anyway I like Budgie and it got my favourite Linux distro.

Edit/note: Neither {color: #FFFFFF} nor {#FFF} shows any effect. Colour of font is still black.
Remedial action: set font colour to #EFEFEF

Still have to figure out a workaround with [type="checkbox"] and [type="radio"]

I’m so glad you mentioned this! I had tested FF a while ago, and had forgotten to open a bug report on this. Since we are going to FF in 18.10, this should be fixed.

It’s me again with one question.
Does this effect as well if you set up as common Ubuntu 18.04 and install the theme afterwards by … ?

apt install ubuntu-budgie-desktop 
apt install budgie-desktop-minimal 
apt install budgie-core

Any experience/knowledge out there?
Source (German): https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Ubuntu_Budgie_Installation/

I was wondering too, but for trying to fix an “issue” with lightdm ( aka use each user’s background ) so maybe starting from a distro with a “working” lightdm ?

Regarding dark themes and Firefox, you’ll find the same issues with Adapta-notko, Qogiri-dark, Materia-dark…

I was wondering too, but for trying to fix an “issue” with lightdm ( aka use each user’s background ) so maybe starting from a distro with a “working” lightdm ?

No - this needs an enhancement to budgie-desktop to recognise when a wallpaper has changed and send an appropriate dbus call to lightdm to change and remember the users wallpaper. This issue (which you are already aware of) covers this. Add support to display via a lightdm based greeter to show the selected user chosen wallpaper · Issue #1326 · solus-project/budgie-desktop · GitHub

Note the work around you can run manually in that issue

Indeed already aware, I was just wondering what could happen if first installed system came first with the “working” lightdm and then after installed budgie-desktop on it… Reading your answer, no need to try this.
I’ll try try the workaround when or if I’ll have it understood :slight_smile:

Today with Firefox 68.0 all is fine.
Background colors of input fields, text fields, checkboxes, radiobuttons, etc … and the font colors show correct.

1 Like