Budgie Applets

Hi Nick, just to double check: does the file /usr/lib/budgie-desktop/plugins/budgie-weathershow/cities exist?
Waitwait, you are not using WeatherShow but Budgie Weather, right?

Budgie Weather

Regards
Nick

Ah, yes, unfortunately that one apparently needs fixing, not one of the applets we (Ubuntu Budgie team) developed. Sorry for the moment. There is another desktop applet “WeatherShow”, with a representation on your desktop and a four day forecast from the applet’s popup, but I don’t know if that is what you are after.

Thank you for your reply.

I’ll give Weather Show a try.

Regards
Nick

:+1: Curious if it works for you / if you like it.

Hi Vlijm,

Where do I find Weather Show applet?

Thanks
Nick

Strike that , Vlijm. Found the applet. Very cool. :sunglasses:

I now have a separate issue of double icons in my applet tray - namely two caffeine icons, and two Megasync. Is there any way to rectify this?

Many thanks,
Nick

Sorted my applets as well! :grinning:

Why do the applets resort themselves upon login? I have to go into settings and reorganize upon every boot. Has this been addressed yet, or can it be included in the “wishlist?”

It’s a known upstream issue: https://github.com/solus-project/budgie-desktop/issues/1058. Although the issue is closed, it still happens sometimes. As a bandage, run nohup budgie-panel --reset --replace& and reorder the applets as you like.

1 Like

Thanks. I will give the bandage a shot.

Yes it still happens sometimes - at least on Ubuntu-Budgie 18.04 - and the bandage works well.

I just wonder - since after bandage the applets ordering issue has not come back - does it mean there’s something missing right after installation ?

No. It is a known issue upstream. Several reports. Generally closed with this workaround as the resolution.

Ugh! I hate to be a Debbie Downer, Whaaaa…whaaaa… :tired_face::sleepy:but I was hit with this bug again. It has been some time since I was infected, everything was going great, and then all my icons started to move around and not respond with actually moving them in settings. I had to apply the fix above. It fixed it accept for the User Indicator moves around on some boots. sigh.

Why is this considered a fix by the Solus team and consequently the issue was closed? It still happens, or does it not happen in Solus and only Ubuntu and other distros?

I don’t think it is regarded as a fix. A workaround for sure.

It needs someone who gets this to then dig into the code and find out why it is happening.

To fix something that is hard to reproduce is nigh on impossible. Thus when it happens then putting debug statements in the code is the ln possible to find out what and why it is happening

Yeah, I am sure this one is a little difficult to figure out without the proper debug code in place. It is not going to show in an error log file. Thanks. Hopefully it plagues one of the Solus team members and prompts them to start digging .

What would be useful enhancements?

Task list has a small issue: when it is on the left side it pushed middle and right side icons out of view.

Example

(see top right)

I would like to ask to add a setting to this one where it drops the names and only show icons when it reaches the middle icons. Or that it starts grouping.

Icon Task List also a small problem: adding sofware center to it, then favorite it, and close it kills the icon. Problem with the desktop launcher. Only one where this seems to happen.

Is this 18.10 or 19.04?

Under 19.04 the software center .desktop file is org.gnome.Software.desktop so I’m intrigued that you are copying gnome-software-service.desktop.

Under 19.04 I’ve dragged from the menu into the icon-task-list and it is automatically favourited.

Also dragged from the menu to the desktop - then from the desktop to the icon-task-list.

Note you dont have to favourite separately in 19.04 - the right click option is to “unfavourite” the icon to remove it.

For the tasklist applet - yeah - its pretty poor - and has been like forever. It really does need a fundamental rewrite not just tinkering. Its a pretty big job to-do though.

You know me and new releases so a fresh install of 19.04 :wink:

What I did: find and open software from menu. lock it. and then close it. Error shows when I click the black icon but not always.It tends to flicker and error out.

I have both :slight_smile:

rinzwind@schijfwereld:~ locate org.gnome.Software.desktop /usr/share/applications/org.gnome.Software.desktop rinzwind@schijfwereld:~ locate gnome-software-service.desktop
/etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-software-service.desktop

c

yeah - gnome-software-service.desktop starts the daemon for running gnome-software - so it isnt a valid thing to add to plank/icon-task-list.