Budgie Applets

Fix has been released. Just update as normal. Logout and login and set the custom directory option for the quick note applet

2 Likes

I wanted to suggest something for the notes applet (although I am not chrrently using it).

This applet will only be fully useful if, somehow, it can be synchronised with google notes, or evernote, or any other cloud based notes.

Just my two cents.

1 Like

Two other suggestions: a weather applet for the Raven sidebar and a music control applet for the panel. Not that I would use a lot, but I can see it would be popular for others.

@Venturub quick note is supposed to be just a simple applet to jot down stuff. You can now sync the note via your cloud storage folder. But since there are no common API formats used by cloud notes systems it is not possible to save to them.

In terms of raven there is no method to write an applet for it. That is scheduled for budgie desktop v11.

Since raven handles music controls via mpris I don’t see why a separate applet is needed.

I would like to suggest another applet (which for me is important): a search, spotlight-like, applet. Now, I can see this applet being developed in either one of two ways:

• a new distinct applet, developed from “scratch”; or

• the apps menu, who has a search formular, is given an option to also look for documents, files, folders. Since we can install more than one apps menu in the panel, a person could install two apps menus: one to look for apps (with the option “looking for files” off), the other one for documents/files/folders (with the option “looking for files” on).

@Venturub adding this sort of stuff to the built in menu system has been raised upstream. No one unfortunately has taken up the challenge.

Applet is certainly possible - kind of a largish undertaking to get it right.

There are various other spotlight like apps available which can be readily incorporated into budgie - e.g. by a custom keyboard shortcut to launch - omgubuntu covered this and made other suggestions like synapse https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/02/cerebro-is-a-spotlight-linux-equivalent

1 Like

A text expander would be amazing!

@bashfulrobot not really familiar with “text expanders” … this ?https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/auto-text-expander-for-go/iibninhmiggehlcdolcilmhacighjamp?hl=en

Is this an app specific thing? Not sure how an applet could help here. Something needs to watch for every keystroke entered - figure out if its entered into a text field and then somehow expand it. uggghhh … mind boggling.

@fossfreedom That Chrome extension is the kind of thing I was talking about, but OS wide rather than just in the browser. For example, there are phrases I type for my workplace many times a day and in many different apps. A clipboard manager like Clipman can help in a way so I can keep going back to it to select that phrase when needed, but it would be awesome to type, like, ph1 or ph2 and get those complete paragraphs autofilled across apps.

I actually asked the question on reddit last year if there were apps that did this for Linux, and the consensus was, well, not really: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux4noobs/comments/6wkozn/the_easiest_current_text_expander_for_linux_right/

That would be a completely unique, killer applet in the Linux world. Is there anyone Mac savvy here who knows how the Mac OS does it?

How automatic should it be ?

I could see programmatically how it would be possible to use a short-cut key (for example Meta-A) to run an application. This app would say “what window has currently got focus” … and “Am I in an edit field”. It would then grab the current contents - match the contents against the phrase the app it holds and then paste over that text field with any matches.

That is certainly feasible. If anyone is interested in working on this we could try to-do this collaboratively.

@fossfreedom It’s all in real time. As you type, say, “p-h-1” immediately the text is replaced by what you have as a preset for those letters/numbers. So it’s constantly, all the time, monitoring your typing. I would recommend checking out the Chrome extension if you can. If you can’t, then I can take a video of how it works.

@fossfreedom Here’s an existing video on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kqPLBu1iXw

For those who were following the discussion we were having about a hypothetical text completion/expander applet, I heard about a new Linux app that seems to accomplish the same thing called TextSuggest. I haven’t tried it myself yet but early impressions I’ve heard online seem positive.

1 Like

While this one is Mac specific, the functionality is what I was talking about.

Hi,

I’m new to Ubuntu Budgie. I installed the weather applet, but it will not update to my area. Any ideas how to fix this would be most welcome.

Kind Regards
Nick

Hi Urbie, are you fully updated? The first version tried to fetch an (now) dead link. The latest version should fix it though.

Hi vlijm.

Yes, I am fully up to date. When I add the applet it defaults to Accra. I then attempt to change location and it auto fills to my location(Bristol,UK), but when I click update no icon appears - just two lines.

Regards
Nick.

does another location like London, UK work? If it does then the two lines is more likely to be due to the weather provider not returning the weather for Bristol. Try another location also close to Bristol.

Hi fossfreedom,

Tried London, no luck either(although the weather there is usually hotter! :stuck_out_tongue:

Any messages displayed in a terminal ? i.e. run the command below then add and change the weather location

budgie-panel -- replace &