Budgie Visualspace applet

Ubuntu Budgie’s Jacob has been playing again

So this new applet re-imagines access to different windows on multiple workspaces.

Reason - the default workspace applet is huge - takes a lot of space on the panel.

So what are your thoughts on this new applet?

1 Like

It looks nice. More compact.

I like it, even more than Workspace Overview.

Looks really great, like it

This new applet is available for testing:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/budgie-extras-daily
sudo apt install budgie-visualspace-applet

Then add the new applet to the panel.

To cleanup after testing:

first remove the applet from the panel

sudo ppa-purge ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/budgie-extras-daily

What I/we forgot to mention: This applet could replace the current workspace switcher animation, so additionally you could take the following steps:

run:

• gsettings set org.ubuntubudgie.visualspace show-visual false

Open Settings > Keyboard, remove the shortcuts: Move to Workspace left / Move to Workspace right in custom shortcuts, then:

• gsettings reset org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings switch-to-workspace-right
  • gsettings reset org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings switch-to-workspace-left .

Thanks for this applet, it does look compact enough.

Is it possible to reallocate windows across workspaces using this new applet? That’s one of the nice features of the standard workspace switcher: you can drag and drop app icons to move them from one workspace to another.

1 Like

Good question indeed.

Can we change workspace with mouse-wheel, without clicking ?

And how does it behave if put in a vertical panel, at bottom end ?

Does it then change the animation orientation, slide vertically between workspaces instead of horizontally ?

@Magean

Is it possible to reallocate windows across workspaces using this new applet?

Not yet

@Coeur-Noir

Can we change workspace with mouse-wheel, without clicking ?

Yes we can, just scroll over the applet’s panel icon

Does it then change the animation orientation, slide vertically between workspaces instead of horizontally ?

WIndows are represented in a list, with the corresponding workspace as a header. In the top section, you can set the number of workspaces:

I was meaning the whole screen animation, it seems to always be horizontal in Budgie.
Which is a bit weird if the applet sits in a vertical panel and app’s list are also vertically displayed.
And vertical sliding looks « faster » ( less pixels to move in most situation ).

Guess it’s a gnome/mutter limitation ?

The default for mutter is vertical … now. It was horizontal.

There is one line of code in upstream budgie desktop itself ( I put it there!) that switches the scrolling direction. It is hard coded as horizontal.

I am guessing the direction can be configured somehow to be vertical or horizontal … but this configuration cannot be done via an applet.