Budgie Extras is 'empty' after upgrade to 21.10

Interesting, I am seeing the same issue on my Desktop. This is a fresh install of 21.10.
Just to test, I fired up a KVM virtual machine with 21.10 and I cannot reproduce the issue there. Same with my RPI4, no problem there.

Blockquote
user@pc:~$ budgie-welcome --debug
[Debug] Running in debugging mode.
[Welcome] Using /snap/ubuntu-budgie-welcome/334/usr/share/budgie-welcome/ path.
[i18n] Locale Not Available: null (using en_US instead)
[i18n] All translated i18n pages found.
[i18n] res_dir:
[i18n] Using locale for gettext: null
[i18n] Using path for gettext: /usr/share/locale/
[i18n] Translation found for gettext.
[Network Test] Establishing a connection test to “http://archive.ubuntu.com/
[Specs] Detecting graphics vendor…
[Specs] Detected: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Vega 20 [Radeon VII] (rev c1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/snap/ubuntu-budgie-welcome/334/usr/bin/budgie-welcome”, line 331, in _load_changed_cb
app.current_page = uri.rsplit(‘/’, 1)[1]
IndexError: list index out of range
[Welcome] Successfully pinged: http://archive.ubuntu.com/

Also with other snaps? Nothing works here. I’ve also deinstalled snapd, deleted the folder in home, and reinstalled it. No success.

Well, I don’t need snaps, but it’s strange…

@gregor no issue with other snaps. I have Skype, Slack, and Bitwarden installed as snaps, and all 3 work fine on my desktop.

I spotted this snapd 21.10 issue

Ignoring welcome, for the moment if you try any snap (not eog), simple snap remove and a snap install does it work?

I would report your generalised snap issues via a

ubuntu-bug snapd

Please test the edge version of the snap

Same issue with edge version on this PC. I also tried to remove it, reboot. reinstall it with latest stable. same issue. Re-upgrade and reboot again, same issue.

Blockquote
budgie-welcome --debug
[Debug] Running in debugging mode.
[Welcome] Using /snap/ubuntu-budgie-welcome/338/usr/share/budgie-welcome/ path.
[i18n] All translated i18n pages found.
[i18n] res_dir:
[i18n] Using locale for gettext: null
[i18n] Using path for gettext: /usr/share/locale/
[i18n] Translation found for gettext.
[Network Test] Establishing a connection test to “http://archive.ubuntu.com/
[Specs] Detecting graphics vendor…
[Specs] Detected: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Vega 20 [Radeon VII] (rev c1)
[_load_changed_cb] uri: file:///snap/ubuntu-budgie-welcome/338/usr/share/budgie-welcome/index.html
[_load_changed_cb] uri:
[_load_changed_cb] weird uri
[Welcome] Successfully pinged: http://archive.ubuntu.com/

Oh! Installed Bitwarden and Skype, both are working. Starting with a few errors, but not severe, I think

[laptop@laptop ~]$ skype

• [ -f /home/laptop/snap/skype/common/.config/skypeforlinux/settings.json ]
  • export SKYPE_LOGS=/home/laptop/snap/skype/187/logs
  • [ ! -d /home/laptop/snap/skype/187/logs ]
  • mkdir -p /home/laptop/snap/skype/187/logs
  • exec /snap/skype/187/usr/share/skypeforlinux/skypeforlinux
    Gtk-Message: 10:58:14.155: Failed to load module “xapp-gtk3-module”
    Gtk-Message: 10:58:14.163: Failed to load module “appmenu-gtk-module”
    [17340:1024/105815.931671:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(374)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.

(skypeforlinux:17120): dbind-WARNING **: 10:58:16.488: Couldn’t connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-BQeVUO2N1q: No such file or directory
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Failed: cannot find desktop file “/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/skype_Skype.desktop”
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Failed: cannot find desktop file “/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/skype_Skype.desktop”
[17120:1024/105816.678596:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(621)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.login1.Manager.Inhibit: object_path= /org/freedesktop/login1: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: An AppArmor policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient; type=“method_call”, sender=“:1.204” (uid=1000 pid=17120 comm=“/snap/skype/187/usr/share/skypeforlinux/skypeforli” label=“snap.skype.skype (enforce)”) interface=“org.freedesktop.login1.Manager” member=“Inhibit” error name=“(unset)” requested_reply=“0” destination=“org.freedesktop.login1” (uid=0 pid=866 comm=“/lib/systemd/systemd-logind " label=“unconfined”)
[17120:1024/105816.754385:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(621)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.login1.Manager.Inhibit: object_path= /org/freedesktop/login1: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: An AppArmor policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient; type=“method_call”, sender=”:1.204" (uid=1000 pid=17120 comm=“/snap/skype/187/usr/share/skypeforlinux/skypeforli” label=“snap.skype.skype (enforce)”) interface=“org.freedesktop.login1.Manager” member=“Inhibit” error name=“(unset)” requested_reply=“0” destination=“org.freedesktop.login1” (uid=0 pid=866 comm="/lib/systemd/systemd-logind " label=“unconfined”)
Error occurred in handler for ‘keychain:get-password’: Error: No stored credentials fetched from keytar.
at /snap/skype/187/usr/share/skypeforlinux/resources/app.asar/main.js:2:633169
at async electron/js2c/browser_init.js:205:563
Error occurred in handler for ‘keychain:get-password’: Error: No stored credentials fetched from keytar.

Very interesting, Budgie Welcome opens as empty “all white” only on my AMD CPU + AMD GPU desktop. Tried on a fresh install as well, edge version of the snap seem to have same issue.
I tried the same on 21.10 on an Intel+Nvidia laptop, no problems there. Also tried on a KVM virtual machine, no problems there.

I’ve got an Intel / nVidia Laptop… And it stays blank.

If you switch to nvidia rather than intel what happens?

I always found this strange, as I have the proprietary nVidia driver installed (and it’s active). I even did not know that an Intel GPU seems to be a part of the CPU.

Output of lspci -nnk | grep -i "VGA\|'Kern'\|3D\|Display" -A2

> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation CometLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics] [8086:9bc4] (rev 05)
> 	Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company CometLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics] [103c:8745]
> 	Kernel driver in use: i915
> --
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Mobile] [10de:1f95] (rev a1)
> 	Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Mobile] [103c:8745]
> 	Kernel driver in use: nvidia

Welcome uses Intel - maybe that’s the reason for the blank screen?!

Use nvidia settings - look to see what is the default - it is probably the Intel power saving mode. Change to nvidia - performance. You need to logout and login when making the switch.

If its set to nvidia - performance - try switching to intel - power saving.

It’s nvidia ‘on demand’ now. I’ll try tomorrow!

Good morning,

it does not matter what I choose, neither Power Saving nor Performane nor On Demand change anything. So, the bug does not go along with the graphics driver.

I can confirm. I am noticing the same behavior using stable or edge version of the snap. I am available for more testing.

• ARM Raspberry PI. Fresh Install of UB 21.10. No problem with UB Welcome.
  • Intel+Nvidia laptop. Upgraded from 21.04. No problem with UB Welcome.
  • AMD Desktop. Fresh install of UB 21.10. No way to make it work, it starts and then stays blank. This applies to: Budgie Extras, Budgie Themes and Layouts, Budgie Welcome.
  • KVM/libvirt Virtual Machine. Fresh install of UB 21.10. No problem with UB Welcome.

Whilst testing is nice, since I cannot reproduce there isn’t anything I can do to debug this remotely.

It will need someone with this issue to debug via the git project source code and resolving.

@fossfreedom this one is interesting. On the PC with the issue, I created a new user, logged in, and Ubuntu Budgie works fine.

:roll_eyes: I wish I had thought of this sooner. Does this give you a better idea to point me to the right direction? clear some dot files in user home folder perhaps?

Hmm… well I suppose you can start by renaming .config first logout and login and see what happens. If that’s the culprit then need to start delving into the .config subfolders

Welcome itself writes some stuff into .config

Yes, it works after creating a new user. Just renaming the budgie-welcome folder did not change anything, it stays blank. There’s only an empty textfile in it (firstrun). Renaming of the whole .config folder also does not help.