[BUDGIE] - Resolution problem when Screen Locked

Hello !

I love the Budgie Ubuntu. :slight_smile:

I just have a single problem : the display change the resolution when I lock the screen.

Please see the pictures just below. (Probably a permission Xorg problem).

I´m not an expert of Linux, so be precise and simple if you want to help me :slight_smile:

Thank you,
And best regards.

Are you using fractional scaling or any display scaling options in Menu - Displays?

If you are using fractional scaling then that is a known issue - gnome-screensaver (the lock screen) does not support fractional scaling.

Thank you for your answer !

You are right : I just check and I´m using fractional scaling.

When I disable fractional scaling, the problem of the lock screen disappear.

Is there a way to fix this problem while using the fractionnal scaling ?

Thank you for your help !

No direct way I’m afraid - it needs someone to dig into gnome-screensaver code to resolve.

The only method at the moment is simply to disable the lock screen.

Ok I will do that ! :ok_hand:

Thank you for the fast answers.

Hi, I have the same problem, but fractional scaling is turned off. I am using uB 20.04, single monitor, every time I turn on the computer I have normal default resolution and then as soon as I go to lock screen for any reason, after that my resolution is lower.
This is output of xrandr
:~$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 2560 x 1440, maximum 32767 x 32767
DP1 connected primary 2560x1440+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 610mm x 350mm
2560x1440 59.95*
1920x1080 60.00 59.94
1680x1050 59.95
1600x900 60.00
1280x1024 75.02 60.02
1440x900 59.89
1280x800 59.81
1152x864 75.00
1280x720 60.00 59.94
1024x768 75.03 70.07 60.00
832x624 74.55
800x600 72.19 75.00 60.32 56.25
640x480 75.00 72.81 66.67 60.00 59.94
720x400 70.08
HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VIRTUAL1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
I also want to say that this problem is obviously known, and I followed both of these solutions written for default Ubuntu

But for me neither is working, I still have the same problem even with this two different configurations for xorg.conf

Does anyone know if this is different problem for Ubuntu Budgie or not? Any idea how to solve this?

It will be the same issue - both budgie desktop and gnome-shell share the same window manager called mutter.

So - for whatever reason - gnome-screensaver is probably recognising a different resolution when locked compared to when unlocked. When the unlock occurs that lower resolution is retained by the window manager.

So the issue probably still is in the gnome-screensaver code.

As to a solution - I don’t know I’m afraid. One of these days I must get a super high resolution monitor to see if I can reproduce what some people like yourself are seeing.

Do try connecting to your monitor in a different way - e.g. VGA/HDMI to see if its the connection choice that is invoking your issue.

Unfortunately, still there is no solution for this problem… I have searched and tried many different approaches, since my first post here but nothing worked. The lock screen always puts lower and lower resolution finally after 4 or 5 times I get to the resolution 1024x768. Some say that this problem is the monitor EDID was produced & left broken by Acer or in my case Samsung, and that this could be fixed for the Windows majority by a “driver”. This problem is not reproduced on another monitor I have. So, for now I just wanted to post here that only solution that I found (which is not really a solution because monitor stays turned on and uses power etc) is that you leave your sceen always on, if the PC is ON, in other word you need to prevent lock screen to turn off your screen. Surprisingly, even this is not straightforward, there is no option to do this in settings. Instead you need to put this:
xset s off && xset -dpms
at the end of the .profile located in your home directory. Thanks to answer posted by Mike on this forum.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1258198/ubuntu-desktop-20-04-prevent-the-display-from-turning-off

I be honest - the only way this will be resolved properly is for an enterprising hacker who has the problematic hardware combinations to debug the code itself to find out what is going wrong and fix it there.

1 Like

For me, the biggest question is how come this is easily fixed in Windows and can not be easily fixed here?

that’s easy … the manufactures would have ensured compatibility … they wouldn’t have done this with linux.