Fractional scaling 125%, but lock screen 200%

When I change Settings>Desktop>Scaling from 100% to 200%, then immediately undo that (via the popup) and change it to 125%, the lock screen is always at 200%. Even after reboots.

This is a bit annoying as it is too large. How can I fix the scaling of the lockscreen?

Sounds like a bug.

ubuntu-bug gnome-screensaver

So if you set to 100% does the lock screen revert back?

Are you saying that any value from 125% to 200% produces a 200% lockscreen? If so the lock screen probably has no clue about the fractional scaling patch and either does 100% or 200%

Yes, 100% does revert back lock screen to 100%.
125% changes lock screen to 125% as well, but after logging out/in or reboot, lock screen becomes 200%.

150% also changes lock screen to 150%, but after relogin or reboot lockscreen is at 200%.

As I said, the screensaver doesn’t understand fractional scaling. So after a reboot it uses the integer scaling rather than the fractional scaling value.

Please raise the bug report.

I should have raised a bug report. With 20.10. it has gotten worse:

Now when you unlock, the screen is blown up (200%) and it seems the visual location of the mouse is not where it actually is. Interacting with my (vertical) panel is impossible. Ctrl+Alt+T does launch Tilix on the panel but I don’t see the window.

The only way out seems to be a hardware button shut down, and then turn on again to reboot :frowning:

Edit: to safely reboot I wait till the system is locked again and then do Ctrl + Alt + F3, login and sudo reboot now.

When you open the terminal please run

nohup budgie-wm --replace &

That will restart the window manager. Does this reset things to be usable?

The output:

[1] 5712 
User@pc:~$ nohup: ignoring input and appending output to 'nohup.out'
_

And I am still in terminal… when I hit Enter again I get:

[1]+ Exit 1     nohup budgie-wm --replace 
user@pc:~$

sure - that is what I was expecting. Does the session become usable again?

Sorry I didn’t understand that, how can I get back into the GUI to test that?

Suggest connect it to a keyboard shortcut - when you unlock from the lock screen - do the keyboard shortcut with the budgie-wm command I gave you - this should restart the window manager.

Note I cannot raise a bug report (I tried with gnome-screensaver and also without a package, just ubuntu-bug and following the wizard, selecting ‘display’ and 'resolution` as issue):

odd - do check the version of gnome-screensaver installed.

To be honest - gnome-screensaver is dead - no one is maintaining it. The “new” budgie-screensaver is similarly dead-on-arrival since it is just a rebadged gnome-screensaver.

As mentioned on a separate thread - the only real solution here is to write a native lock screen implementation for budgie-wm.