Can I move the top bar to the second display?

Hi there !

I’m a long time Windows and Linux user, but I keep Windows on my main computer so I can use Lightroom for editing photos (professional) and playing Counter Strike. Still, I’m trying Ubuntu Budgie on a Live USB to see how it works on my main PC cause it looks clean and very fun.

But I wonder if I can switch the top bar to the second display. It seems that it won’t be possible as the display settings manager tells me that the Primary Display contains top bar and activities, but maybe there’s a way to change that (it seems strange to me that a DE does not allow that).

Thank you for your help.

For the moment you need to use Settings - Displays to switch the position of your monitors - just drag the monitor position around.

It won’t change the fact that the primary display will have the top bar on it. I want the top bar to be on the second display.

Its been a long while since I played in this area but I seem to remember there is a black bar above the primary display - you need to drag that to the display that is to be the primary.

This is an old picture I found that should be hopefully reflective of the current capabilities

This work for Gnome but this is not a Budgie feature. The top bar can’t move from the primary screen.

ok - when you have two or more displays you can switch which display is the primary display. If you do that then the panel etc will switch to the new primary display (Settings - Display)

budgie only supports a primary display - so you cannot have a primary display and move that panel to a secondary display.

Definitely a top requirement for dual display workers to use the entire real estate.
Use case is not a “secondary” display such as for projectors etc. It’s more of a permanent 3840x1080 display, and being able to put desktop controls anywhere is a powerful addition :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is a patch to budgie desktop that someone developed but never submitted to upstream that apparently allows for multi screen panels.

No idea how good it is but should really be investigated.

It’s currently sitting in one of the forks of budgie-desktop in github developed about a year ago from memory

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Icon Task List or other dock alternative - With app names?

The line showing “Primary Display 1 Built-in display” in fossfreedoms picture above, is - in Ubuntu 18.04 at least - clickable, and will let you select which screen is the primary one.