Cannot login ... background briefly shows

@fossfreedom, I added the testing repo and installed 10.5, no problems. This morning I rebooted and when I get to the log in screen, I enter my credentials and it does something in the background (screen looks like it tries to render the desktop, and then it goes back to the log in screen. I can’t log back in now, any ideas what I can do to get logged in and back to the desktop?

Doug

Sounds like a package or two has been removed accidently

CTRL+ALT+F2 to switch to a TTY and login

type:

sudo apt install --reinstall budgie-desktop budgie-core libbudgietheme0 libraven0 libbudgie-plugin0

reboot --

When I execute the apt command, I get:

E: You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives

Not sure what to do next.

ah - that explains it - you have unfortunately run out of disk space :frowning:

You’ll need to uninstall some stuff before running the above.

If you have snaps installed - suggest uninstall them

snap list

snap remove snapname

Worth running:

sudo apt autoremove

Have a close look before accepting (Pressing Y) that there are no critical packages being uninstalled like python, gnome stuff, budgie stuff

Sometimes you may have been collecting linux kernels - they should be purged - but sometimes they just collect.

Check what kernel you are running:

uname -a

sudo apt purge linux-image-number-generic
sudo apt purge linux-headers-number-generic

Where number is less than the value returned by uname -a

e.g. dad@dad-VirtualBox:~/Downloads/assets/Banners/19.04$ uname -a
Linux dad-VirtualBox 4.18.0-16-generic #17~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 12 13:35:51 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
dad@dad-VirtualBox:~/Downloads/assets/Banners/19.04$ sudo apt purge linux-image-4.18.0-1
linux-image-4.18.0-14-generic  linux-image-4.18.0-16-generic  
dad@dad-VirtualBox:~/Downloads/assets/Banners/19.04$ sudo apt purge linux-image-4.18.0-14-generic linux-image-4.18.0-14-generic

(Press tab at the point linux-image- to autocomplete/list packages that match)

Finally run:

sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade

To check that all packages are correctly installed and that you weren’t in the middle of install stuff before running out of disk space.

1 Like

Thanks for the help @fossfreedom, I was able to uninstall a couple snaps and was able to log in.

I haven’t run into any issues as of yet, but I do miss the Budgie Desktop settings icon in the raven menu :slightly_frowning_face:

It’s the power strip which you can re-add via budgie-desktop-settings - raven

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for that!