Conflict of packages both containing i915_dri.so

Hi, i have a conflict of packages i can’t solve. Can anyone suggest me what to do to fix it?

sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… Done
Reading state information… Done
You might want to run ‘apt --fix-broken install’ to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libgl1-mesa-dri : Depends: libglapi-mesa (= 22.0.1-1ubuntu2.1) but 22.1.3+git2206301758.a066287f1b5~j~mesarc0 is installed
Breaks: libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 (!= 22.0.1-1ubuntu2.1) but 22.1.3+git2207121916.6ddbd56174b~j~mesarc0 is installed
libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 : Breaks: libgl1-mesa-dri (!= 22.1.3+git2207121916.6ddbd56174b~j~mesarc0) but 22.0.1-1ubuntu2.1 is installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try ‘apt --fix-broken install’ with no packages (or specify a solution).

When i try to fix it with suggested line this is output i get:

sudo apt --fix-broken install
Correcting dependencies… Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libgl1-amber-dri libllvm13 libllvm13:i386
Use ‘sudo apt autoremove’ to remove them.
The following additional packages will be installed:
libgl1-mesa-dri
The following packages will be upgraded:
libgl1-mesa-dri
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 121 not upgraded.
14 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/7 880 kB of archives.
After this operation, 17,4 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database … 295595 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack …/libgl1-mesa-dri_22.1.3+git2207121916.6ddbd56174b~j~mesarc0_amd64.deb …
Unpacking libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64 (22.1.3+git2207121916.6ddbd56174b~j~mesarc0) over (22.0.1-1ubuntu2.1) …
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libgl1-mesa-dri_22.1.3+git2207121916.6ddbd56174b~j~mesarc0_amd64
.deb (–unpack):
trying to overwrite ‘/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i915_dri.so’, which is also in package libgl1-amber-dri:amd64 21.3.
7-0ubuntu1
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libgl1-mesa-dri_22.1.3+git2207121916.6ddbd56174b~j~mesarc0_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Because of that conflict i can’t install anything new or update existing packages. I need amd’s proprietary driver to stay installed for things i do.

It looks like you have an additional repository that is trying to add a version of mesa that has conflicts or unmet dependencies. We had issues like this reported before on 22.04.

Are you by any chance on 22.04? Did you add any PPAs to your install, or by any chance did you install CoreCtrl from our welcome - gaming app?

22.04, yes.
CoreCtrl i have installed from repository mentioned in dev’s installation guide, not from budgie welcome app. I didn’t even know welcome app has it.

Here is output of apt-get update:

Had to put it on pastebin as i can’t add more than two links per post.

If you installed CoreCtrl, try to disable or remove the PPA, then refresh your apt and run updates.
Please follow up if this solves the issue, if that is the case we might need to ask you to report upstream so any issue or conflict can be resolved.

If you want to check our welcome and what it can do for you and your gaming needs, you can check the two articles linked below:

Ubuntu Budgie Welcome Application
Ubuntu Budgie Welcome - Gaming Application

When i removed ernst ppa and attempt to fix packages list of packages apt wants to remove is huge and critical:

sudo apt --fix-broken install
Correcting dependencies… Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
apg brasero-common budgie-control-center-data cdrdao cheese-common dconf-cli docbook-xml
evolution-data-server-common folks-common gamin gir1.2-geoclue-2.0 gir1.2-geocodeglib-1.0 gir1.2-gfbgraph-0.2
gir1.2-gweather-3.0 gir1.2-ibus-1.0 gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-4.0 gir1.2-json-1.0 gir1.2-rest-0.7 gir1.2-soup-2.4
gkbd-capplet gnome-control-center-data gnome-control-center-faces gnome-session-common gnome-user-share
gnome-video-effects gthumb-data hip-dev hip-doc hip-samples hipblas hipblas-dev hipcub-dev hipfft hipfft-dev
hipify-clang hipsolver hipsolver-dev hipsparse hipsparse-dev hsa-amd-aqlprofile ibus ibus-data ibus-gtk ibus-gtk3
ibus-gtk4 libapache2-mod-dnssd libbotan-2-19 libbrasero-media3-1 libbudgie-private0 libbudgietheme0 libburn4
libcamel-1.2-63 libclutter-1.0-common libcogl-common libcolord-gtk1 libdazzle-1.0-0 libdazzle-common libdc1394-25
libdecor-0-0 libdecor-0-plugin-1-cairo libdmapsharing-3.0-2 libdvdnav4 libebackend-1.2-10 libebook-1.2-20
libebook-contacts-1.2-3 libecal-2.0-1 libedata-book-1.2-26 libedata-cal-2.0-1 libedataserver-1.2-26 libexiv2-27
libfile-copy-recursive-perl libfile-which-perl libfolks26 libfreerdp-server2-2 libgamin0 libgfbgraph-0.2-0
libgl1-amber-dri libglu1-mesa libgpod-common libgpod4 libgrilo-0.3-0 libgsound0 libgssdp-1.2-0
libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-0 libgupnp-1.2-1 libgupnp-av-1.0-3 libgupnp-dlna-2.0-4 libibus-1.0-5 libisofs6
libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18 libjte2 libkf5archive5 libkf5auth-data libkf5authcore5 libkf5coreaddons-data
libkf5coreaddons5 liblirc-client0 libllvm13 libllvm13:i386 liblua5.2-0 libmanette-0.2-0 libmediaart-2.0-0
libminizip1 libmujs1 libncurses5 libnss-myhostname libopenal-data libopenal1 libopengl0 libperl4-corelibs-perl
libphonenumber8 libplacebo192 libpolkit-qt5-1-1 libprotobuf23 libpthread-stubs0-dev libpython3.8
libpython3.8-minimal libpython3.8-stdlib libqt5charts5 libqt5qml5 libqt5qmlmodels5 libqt5qmlworkerscript5
libqt5quick5-gles libraven0 libraw20 librygel-core-2.6-2 librygel-db-2.6-2 librygel-renderer-2.6-2
librygel-server-2.6-2 libsdl2-2.0-0 libsgutils2-2 libsixel1 libsndio7.0 libtspi1 liburi-encode-perl libva-wayland2
libvncserver1 libx11-dev libxau-dev libxcb-res0 libxcb1-dev libxcvt0 libxdmcp-dev libxfont2 libxvmc1 libxxf86dga1
mutter-common openmp-extras pibootctl power-profiles-daemon python3-certifi python3-chardet python3-debconf
python3-debian python3-ibus-1.0 python3-macaroonbakery python3-mako python3-markupsafe python3-protobuf
python3-pycryptodome python3-pymacaroons python3-pyxattr python3-requests python3-rfc3339 python3-tz
qml-module-qtcharts qml-module-qtquick-layouts qml-module-qtquick-window2 qml-module-qtquick2 rccl rccl-dev
rocalution rocalution-dev rocblas rocblas-dev rocfft rocfft-dev rocm-cmake rocm-dbgapi rocm-debug-agent
rocm-device-libs rocm-gdb rocm-hip-libraries rocm-hip-runtime-dev rocm-smi-lib rocprim-dev rocprofiler-dev rocrand
rocrand-dev rocsolver rocsolver-dev rocsparse rocsparse-dev rocthrust-dev roctracer-dev rtmpdump rygel sgml-base
sgml-data update-notifier-common vulkan-tools x11-apps x11-session-utils x11proto-dev xbitmaps xcvt xfonts-base
xfonts-scalable xinit xml-core xorg-sgml-doctools xserver-common xserver-xorg-legacy xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu
xtrans-dev yelp-xsl youtube-dl zenity-common
Use ‘sudo apt autoremove’ to remove them.
The following additional packages will be installed:
libebackend-1.2-10 libebook-1.2-20 libebook-contacts-1.2-3 libecal-2.0-1 libedata-book-1.2-26 libedata-cal-2.0-1
libedataserver-1.2-26 libqt5gui5-gles libqt5quick5-gles
Suggested packages:
qt5-image-formats-plugins qtwayland5
Recommended packages:
libqt5svg5
The following packages will be REMOVED:
amdgpu amdgpu-lib amdgpu-lib32 amdgpu-pro amdgpu-pro-lib32 anydesk budgie-arm-environment budgie-control-center
budgie-core budgie-desktop budgie-desktop-environment budgie-dropby-applet budgie-keyboard-autoswitch-applet
budgie-window-shuffler celluloid cheese corectrl evolution-data-server ffmpeg gir1.2-champlain-0.12
gir1.2-clutter-1.0 gir1.2-cogl-1.0 gir1.2-coglpango-1.0 gir1.2-gst-plugins-base-1.0 gir1.2-gtkchamplain-0.12
gir1.2-gtkclutter-1.0 gir1.2-rb-3.0 gir1.2-webkit2-4.0 glew-utils gnome-2048 gnome-calendar gnome-control-center
gnome-maps gnome-online-accounts gnome-remote-desktop gnome-session-bin gnome-startup-applications gnome-user-docs
gnome-user-docs-pl gstreamer1.0-clutter-3.0 gstreamer1.0-gl gstreamer1.0-gtk3 gstreamer1.0-vaapi gthumb
libavdevice58 libchamplain-0.12-0 libchamplain-gtk-0.12-0 libcheese-gtk25 libcheese8 libclutter-1.0-0
libclutter-gst-3.0-0 libclutter-gtk-1.0-0 libcogl-pango20 libcogl-path20 libcogl20 libedataserverui-1.2-3
libfolks-eds26 libgl-dev libgl1 libgl1-amdgpu-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri libglew2.2 libglx-dev libglx-mesa0 libglx0
libgoa-backend-1.0-1 libgstreamer-gl1.0-0 libgtkglext1 libmpv1 libmutter-10-0 libqt5gui5 libqt5quick5
libqt5quickcontrols2-5 libqt5quicktemplates2-5 libqt5svg5 libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37 libyelp0 mate-optimus
mesa-common-dev mesa-utils mesa-utils-bin miopen-hip miopen-hip-dev mpv qml-module-qt-labs-platform
qml-module-qtquick-controls2 qml-module-qtquick-templates2 rhythmbox-plugins rocm-clang-ocl rocm-dev rocm-hip-sdk
rocm-opencl-dev rocm-opencl-sdk rocm-utils teamviewer ubuntu-budgie-desktop ubuntu-docs ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk
update-manager update-notifier x11-utils xorg xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-amdgpu-video-amdgpu xserver-xorg-core
xserver-xorg-input-libinput xserver-xorg-video-all xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
xserver-xorg-video-intel xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xserver-xorg-video-qxl xserver-xorg-video-radeon
xserver-xorg-video-vesa xserver-xorg-video-vmware yelp zenity

How do i workaround this one? I can’t install anything without using --fix command.

So… any further suggestions for my case? I can’t figure it myself, considering to just reinstall OS from scratch and do things to avoid that conflict.

@spectatorx1 let me run some tests on your scenario and get back to you later today.

I was able to reproduce the issue you reported, on my AMD desktop.

In order to fix it, we need to purge the ppa, not just remove/disable it.
if we disable or remove a ppa, it does not remove the packages we previously installed from that ppa. Purging the ppa, removes/downgrades packages too.

So this is what I would do:

1. backup your important files
  2. backup your important files
  3. backup your important files
  4. re-enable the ppa in this case ernstp/mesarc if you disabled or removed it. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ernstp/mesarc
  5. Refresh packages and attempt to upgrade. You should still be stuck with the same conflict. If you are, do not attempt to resolve. sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade
  6. Purge the ppa now. This will remove all packages that came from that ppa and revert back to versions from your distribution repositories: sudo ppa-purge ppa:ernstp/mesarc
  7. Reboot and Enjoy

PS
If for some reason something goes horribly wrong, and you are stuck with text based login, you still can recover your system without a full reinstall:
if you run this: sudo apt install xorg budgie-desktop-environment and reboot, you will be back to Ubuntu Budgie Desktop Environment. Other programs might be missing but then it would be an easier task to reinstall what you need.

I hope it helps.

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately ppa-purge seems to be not working for some …n’ reason. Here is a log from my terminal:

Before that i didn’t have ppa-purge installed and because of that whole conflict i was unable to install ppa-purge via apt so i had to manually download as .deb file and install via dpkg. Downloaded from this link:
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/p/ppa-purge/ppa-purge_0.2.8+bzr63-0ubuntu1_all.deb

I see another ppa creating errors:

E: The repository 'https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/krzemin/qnapi/ubuntu jammy Release' does not have a Release file.

Please remove/disable it and run sudo apt update again.

Thx, now i was able to purge ernst’s ppa but basically it has changed nothing as i have to nuke half of system anyway. This is after purge and reboot:

I wanted to post a link to pastebin but i received a message i can’t post link to that site. Why? Also my previous posts containing links to pastebin are hidden now. This makes no sense.

Discourse flagged pastebin as a possible spam site since you posted multiple links to it.

You should now be able to do this again.

Thank you! Now is all well.