.deb packages open via zip file manager by default

no - definitely /etc/budgie-desktop folder - the file is installed by the budgie-desktop-environment package. I’ve double checked on a clean 20.10 install.

Strange, I did a clean install yesterday. Perhaps it got deleted somehow. Maybe I should reinstall budgie-desktop-environment see if it returns.

sudo apt install --reinstall -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confask,confnew,confmiss" budgie-desktop-environment

That will reinstall and ensure /etc/ config files are also reinstalled at the same time.

I think I am going crazy. I still do not have that folder.

$ sudo apt install --reinstall -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confask,confnew,confmiss" budgie-desktop-environment
[sudo] password for asterix: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
Need to get 103 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 https://mirror.nl.leaseweb.net/ubuntu focal/universe amd64 budgie-desktop-environment all 0.13.7 [103 kB]
Fetched 103 kB in 0s (468 kB/s)                      
(Reading database ... 219854 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../budgie-desktop-environment_0.13.7_all.deb ...
Leaving 'diversion of /usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps/ubuntu-logo-icon.png
 to /usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps/ubuntu-logo-icon.png.budgie by budgie-
desktop-environment'
Leaving 'diversion of /usr/share/applications/nemo.desktop to /usr/share/applica
tions/nemo.desktop.budgie by budgie-desktop-environment'
Unpacking budgie-desktop-environment (0.13.7) over (0.13.7) ...
Setting up budgie-desktop-environment (0.13.7) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.24-1ubuntu3) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.64ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.36.0-1ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for libglib2.0-0:amd64 (2.64.3-1~ubuntu20.04.1) ...
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon (0.5.3+18.04.20180207.2-0ubuntu2) ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf-2.index...

I remember yesterday I installed a few applications, also removed one that I had just installed.
I installed a new kernel. When I confirmed all was working I ran Bleachbit, I selected for Apt: autoclean, autoremove, clean cache, clean package lists. And it cleared temporary files and caches. Then I created a snapshot with Timeshift. Should have created one before running Bleachbit…

You are on 20.04 - not 20.10!

The change hasn’t been SRU’d back to 20.04 yet - I’m giving it couple of weeks or more before I begin the process.

OMG!
I downloaded Budgie a few weeks ago, 20.10 was already released but I didn’t pay attention if I downloaded the latest version. Just put it on a USB stick and installed it… damn. Sorry to waste your time. I will update today!

What would be the right method to change the default musicplayer (rythmbox>deadbeef) and text editor (gedit>pluma) via the terminal?
I tried simply replacing their occurances in /etc/budgie-desktop/defaults.list but after a reboot, the default app is still the old one, even though the changes are correct in defaults.list.

not sure - but if you right click - choose the open with and set as default method it should add the defaults in ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list - so you could add that file as part of your post install.

1 Like