Default applications review for 22.10 / 23.04 and beyond

I had a quick look at that. It is broken in 22.04 … easy enough to patch though. Needs a bug report on launchpad.

It isnt a simple interface as deja-dup and could be confusing for some.

It isnt obvious also how to backup to cloud providers like you can with deja-dup

There was a reason it fell out of favor, but i don’t remember all the details.

You’re right to present it as a system backup as first purpose though it’s also possible to backup $HOME through TimeShift. The choice to backup all $HOME content or only the visible data - excluding the hidden ones - is a very careful and interesting ability.

This is kind of an easy decision.

GNOME Screenshot manages capturing screen-scrapes. However GNOME have replaced gnome-screenshot with their own inbuilt mechanism - so I would expect GNOME to place the app into read-only archive mode i.e. mothball it soonish.

Team member Jacob and myself have created budgie-screenshot which is part of budgie-desktop itself and has been submitted upstream. This will replace GNOME Screenshot in budgie-desktop 10.7 i.e. GNOME Screenshot will be dropped as a default app install.

I’m confused… All these mentioned applications are already (22.04) breaking my theme. They are all dark, it can’t be changed, changing the theme has no effect. I do not use dark themes at all. I don’t like these dark themed apps, so I’m already looking for alternatives. Using the flatpak version is solving the problem for the moment, but that can’t be a permanent solution.

Regarding the Mate apps: Client side decorations are missing, this also destroys the system wide theming. It looks cluttered, not professional. Especially the Mate System Monitor looks very ugly. In my opinion, of course…

1 Like

Text editors are very personal things and people are passionate with their choice.

We have shipped with gedit since the budgie remix days.

Development upstream has virtually ground to a halt. GNOME in 22.10 will be replacing gedit with a new libadwaita based app.

Some may claim the old pluma text editor is the natural replacement. Forked from gnome years ago it is part of the mate desktop. Development though is on the same pace of gedit…

Geany is another editor and is currently actively maintained after recently achieving a gtk3 port.

So this is not going to be a easy decision… more discussion is needed.

GNOME Font Viewer is a simple app to display the fonts installed on your system.

It however has a habit of crashing - especially for the first few times of usage.

font-manager is a new GTK app that is quick and allows you to manage your fonts.

It is undergoing a rewrite to GTK4 but with an unknown timescale. We have asked a question about libadwaita. There are a few issues outstanding but seems to be robust.

For the moment we should consider changing to font-manager

1 Like

how about Kate ?

have a read of https://kate-editor.org/post/2022/2022-03-31-kate-ate-kwrite/

Kate falls under the KDE application suite … which pulls in the huge KDE libraries which will make our ISO huge. So no.

I was thinking of kwrite … hence the link which is smaller

xfce4-taskmanager looks really nice - and integrates well with budgie.

The only real issue I have with this is that it just deals with processes. System Monitor gives more info network / file systems etc etc. As an aside we have shipped Disk Usage aka baobab for file system stuff but that it going libadwaita.

Cheese has an initiative to port to GTk4 and possibly libadwaita. Progress on this appears to be slow.

Are there any other apps? @GrindamN has pointed out using guvcview which looks and feels more feature filled without complicating things. Would have been nice an option to integrate the video window within the settings part.

guvcview is from a project on sourceforge - its ticking along nicely with bug fixes on a regular basis - no major updates for a number of years though.

Think guvcview is a strong candidate to replace cheese unless anyone else has done an indepth analysis for another candidate.

I don’t have an indepth analysis but webcamoid also served me well, the few times I had to use it. I believe it is available from Ubuntu universe repositories. https://webcamoid.github.io

Its a Qt based app - does bring in quite a few packages but relatively small in size.

Does look nice - and it has a new maintainer in Debian that is managing stuff nicely.

Good candidate I think. Its annoying that it defaults to looking for new versions - dunno if there is a way to turn that off as a default.

I would vote for guvcview as Qt based apps often do not look very good, they do not follow the GTK theme.

As already mentioned, the new applications should use client-side decoration if possible…

Indeed. That will need some inspiring devs to submit the changes required on the relevant upstream project … i would assume as an option or assume gnome based desktops such as budgie would default to CSD and others default to menu based.

It’s really great that you are getting rid of legacy libadwaita apps and their outdated theme for more modern apps.
Gnome devs had the arrogance to rename GTK theme in Tweaks as “Legacy Applications” and they are manipulating you into thinking everything that is not adwaita is legacy. The irony is that adwaita is the most legacy theme you can find on Linux. It brings you back to the 90’s and is full of inconsistencies.

There is indeed a hack to bypass libadwaita and bring a more modern look to system settings, clocks, disk usage, calc, etc… and all the legacy libadwaita-enforced apps, I myself am in the process of adapting the Manjaro theme (Matcha) to these. I also use it on Ubuntu (with a different color scheme). Even as a hack, it’s 100x better. Although I’m not there yet.
For system settings, I noticed that pantheon switchboard replaces it quite well. Not sure if it asks for a lot of dependencies.

I was wondering what were your plans about legacy GTK libadwaita apps, and I really appreciate that you won’t get pulled back 30 years by the close-mindedness of Gnome/GTK devs.

If we can manage some overview (Windows 10 or KDE do it already) and some good gestures for workspace switching or window maximizing/unmaximizing, I would absolutely use Budgie as my primary DE, either on Ubuntu or on Manjaro.

For calendar purposes, there’s also the google calendar add-on to Thunderbird.
And I guess some interactivity with the raven calendar was in the books as well.

Sad to read that. Any other text editor would prevent us from being locked in the single version of the workflow truth of Gnome/GTK vision. There probably won’t be any kind of option or feature in their new text editor. Loss of usability for users is quite certain.

Regarding PDF viewing.

I tried atril a while back and it was anything but convincing. Suffers from the same issues as evince. Makes sense as a fork. evince is typically the first app you remove after a fresh Gnome/Budgie/else install as it’s barely useful to read PDFs (barely manages to realize its purpose).

Nowadays I use:

• Foxit - but I can’t imagine it being default, plus it doesn’t seem to have new versions and it doesn’t scale properly (on 125-150-175-200% zoom).
  • qpdfview (it has a gtk theme although it’s QT)
  • epdfviewer which would be a pretty good fit as default but not sure it’s still developed.

Atril probably fits a default candidate well, but it is just as bad as evince.