Default applications review for 22.10 / 23.04 and beyond

transmission is our default bittorrent client. The upstream tracker has many issues but is in active development and is due a major release soon (prep for v4beta). This looks like it is moving to a new GTK model - maybe GTK4? I don’t see any evidence of libadwaita stuff.

Deluge is another bittorrent client that is GTK based - it is python based and will introduce a number of extra python modules

biglybt is a gtk4 based bittorrent client but needs a java JRE installed - this makes the huge 200MB+ install impractical.

qbittorrent I personally like - it is QT based.

For the moment I would dare to suggest to monitor bittorrent progress - deluge as a fallback.

Not suggesting as a default nor is it a mail-merge calendar , but those who need to keep track of daily tasks may like this. It is a snap and available in the repository.

Running Mate System Monitor, uninstalled Gnome System Monitor. Good Alt.

Serious consideration is being given to replace GNOME Software with the new-in-development “Ubuntu Software” - its a flutter based app.

Do give it a try now - it should hopefully be marked as stable during the 23.04 development cycle.

Install also available via

sudo snap install snap-store --channel=preview/edge
2 Likes

I am testing this now on my development VM with Ubuntu Budgie 23.04. This software center looks awesome and seem to be working well already. I am impressed.

1 Like

My Mate system monitor doesn’t look as good as yours, but I also switched on my daily driver at some point as anything Gnome is really getting disappointing, even basic things such as System Monitor, terminal or simple text editor. Anything Gnome devs do end up making you unable to do basic computer things. They literally prevents you from accomplishing the most simple use cases.

I really like the fact that Joshua Strobl think similarly and is trying to get away from anything Gnome/GtK4.