Flash in Chrome not working in 19.04

Hi all, I did an upgrade yesterday from 18.10 to 19.04…after the update Flash did not work in Google Chrome… symptom: Get the usual challenge to allow flash, then applet changes showing the jigsaw piece, right clicking gives the menu run applet, hide applet… clicking run applet has no effect… has anyone else encountered this?

I have since reverted back to 18.10 [thanks Timeshift] and applet works ok. Will do clean install 19.04 on a vMachine and see if this happens there…if it does I will try and add more details to this post.

I found that after upgrade, I had to reanable allow Flash for sites that on the previous UB version were already allowed. It looks like this was somehow reset for me.

Confirmed that it is a bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/chromium-browser/+bug/1825497

So - a fix is coming specifically for chromium. Google will need to separately make a release for Chrome.

Hi, I just wanted to follow up on this. I just recently installed Budgie on my laptop (Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS) and cannot get Flash to work. Here is what I have tried so far:
I went into the Chromium Settings > Advanced > Site Settings and changed Flash to “Ask First”, then I clicked the padlock on the address bar, changed that to “Allow” and reloaded the page.
Next I went to the start button, opened “Software” and ran all of the updates. I also clicked on the little button icon and went into “Software & Updates” and accepted all of the “Downloadable from the Internet” options under “Ubuntu Software”. Then I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chromium.
When I go to https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html and check if Flash is installed, it says that it is disabled. It also shows Chrome as my browser, not sure if this matters.
After this, I installed Firefox to see if that would work. When I go to https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html, it says that Flash is not installed. I went to the download page and was given the option of 4 versions: APT, YUM, .tar.gz, and .rpm. I tried to download the "APT for Debian/Ubuntu version but it says “The address wasn’t understood, Firefox doesn’t know how to open this address because one of the following protocols (apt) isn’t associated with this program or is not allowed in this context, You might need to install other software to open this address”.
I have downloaded the rest of them but none of them install. This is my first go at Linux so I am not sure if it should do that automatically (like how Windows brings up a Wizard or something), or if I need to do something manually. Anyway, they download but it just shows the files when I open it and there isn’t anything like an .exe file that I can see. I went back to “Software” but I can’t find it listed in there.
So, any ideas if there is anything else that I can do to get in working in Chromium and/or how can I install it to possibly get it to work in Firefox? Please note that I am not a tech person so you may need to give me a bit more detail that you normally would. For example, I googled the download error message and someone advised to open a terminal window and type in a command. I don’t know how to open a terminal window.
Anyway, I appreciate any help! I designed our garden in a garden planner that uses Flash but now can’t open it to find out where the seedlings are supposed to go!
Thank you!

The flash player is called pepper-flash and you need to install it using the instructions linked.

Thank you! Basic question, it says to “Enable it by running the command:”. Where do I get to the command prompt?

Menu - tilix

That will open up the terminal where you can type the relevant commands

Thank you, I have it working now!

For years there was one and only one “clean” way to install adobe flash in Ubuntu :
⋅ enable Canonical partners repository ( in software & sources )
⋅ install adobe-flashplugin ( using software or synaptic or command sudo apt install adobe-flashplugin )

This was the easiest and safest method - auto-updated and officially monitored.
This installed flashplugin for Firefox and Chromium ( and its derivatives, google-chrome, vivaldi, opera… ).

Not true any longer ???

Here we are talking about chromium - it needs the pepperflash wrapper developed (I think) by google which is natively shipped with Chrome. As far as I can gather pepperflash links to adobe flash itself so as and when adobe releases a bug fix, you’ll automatically get it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/net-install-flash.html.en

The adobe-flashplugin package provides both the NPAPI and PPAPI plug-ins, i.e. it provides Flash for both Firefox and Chromium like web browsers.

1. Make sure that the Canonical Partner repository is activated.
  2. Install the adobe-flashplugin package.
  3. Restart your browser.

And beware if Chromium or Firefox came in bloody Snap packages.

If you use Firefox or Chromium as a snap, the packages described above do not help. Instead the steps below are suggested to make Flash available.
Please note that you are supposed to always use the latest version of Flash. It means that you need to repeat step 2 - 7 once in a while to keep accessing web services which require Flash.

Firefox as snap
Create a plugins folder:

mkdir ~/snap/firefox/common/.mozilla/plugins

Go to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
Download the .tar.gz file for Linux.
Navigate to the folder for downloaded files.
Extract the files from the downloaded archive file:

tar xf flash_player*

Copy libflashplayer.so to the plugins folder:

cp libflashplayer.so ~/snap/firefox/common/.mozilla/plugins

Restart your browser.

Chromium as snap
Create a lib folder:

mkdir ~/snap/chromium/current/.local/lib

Go to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/.
Download the .tar.gz file for Linux.
Navigate to the folder for downloaded files.
Extract the files from the downloaded archive file:

tar xf flash_player*

Copy libpepflashplayer.so to the lib folder:

cp libpepflashplayer.so ~/snap/chromium/current/.local/lib

Restart your browser.

Always prefer good old deb packages - too bad for Chromium…

Note that there is another flash plugin called flashplugin-installer, available from the default Ubuntu software repository. It may enable flash supports for Firefox and Opera, but not for the Chromium browser.

Also remember that Adobe will finally stop support flash at the end of 2020.