have been using Budgie for a while now and recently bought a new laptop where i was running 18.10 budgie (love it btw) but recently got a notification on updates saying no more support for 18.10 so upgrade, so put it off a while (well since April) but thought been a rouund 5 months or so will do the upgrade hoping any teething troubles were ironed out…now the problem
So my graphics card is
- Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 620 driver: i915 v: kernel *
- Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa *
- resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1680x1050~60Hz *
- OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics 620 (Kabylake GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 19.0.2*
when I rebooted after installation, the signon screen comes up no problem - signed in and after about 5 seconds the screen flicks in and out, sometimes for a few seconds, then goes black, and so on forever…now the weird thing is you place a VGA cable in the laptop and connect to an external monitor and the whole thing is stable, unplug the ext monitor and it returns to flicking in and out.
… so i have tried the following list :-
- Reinstalling latest Budgie ISO with no safe graphics - same issue
- Reinstalling latest Budgie ISO with safe graphics - same issue
- Reinstalling back to original 18.10 cosmic version and all is good
- Installed another distro at 19.04 (Ubuntu MATE) to see if it was an Ubuntu thing or kernel issue (some settings for graphics now in kernel i believe) - all works no problem with both standalone laptop and ext monitors
Edited: - sorry meant to add have also tried with and without third party drivers aka ubuntu base and any intel driver avail for the i915 and both kernels 5.0.25 and the latest 5.0.27
Conclusion :- My only conclusion can be that there is either an issue with the base version Budgie is shipping with its desktop OR that there is something in the Budgie desktop settings or config that is in error.
If I can provide any more info let me know, but will have to reinstall 19.04 to replicate as need to use my laptop (which i will return for the moment to 18.10 as I prefer your desktop and love Tilix)
Thanks in advance.