Graphics flickering issue 19.04

ok cool will try it in increments - it looks like 5.0.1 is my next stop and yes 19.04 that was me getting mixed up with the new and the old soz.

( any related to SuperTuxKart in 18.04 : flickering shadows with intel i915 ? )

No. That’s a game specific issue. This is a graphics type specific issue.

David

Well good news and some bad to a point - I downloaded the following kernels 5.0.0.13 (base), 5.0.0.27, 5.0.1, 5.1.1, 5.1.21, and 5.3.0-994(latest from drm-tip / drm-intel-nightly), they all had varing degress of success, at the 5.0.1 onwards with stable gfx but no ability to change the brightness etc (even with nomodeset removed) or when ext VGA is plugged in it defaulted the built in to the lower resolution of the ext VGA and in display did not recognise that it had joined or mirrored the ext VGA BUT all is good at 5.3.0-994, I have since downloaded 5.2.x series to see if it is fixed earlier aas would be better to be closer to original i assume than way out in front but so far success with all function ok and no flickering.

It’s likely that kernel 5.3 will be in 19.10 so that’s very interesting news.

OK, not completely following that - my point from above was that having downloaded the linux-headers, modules etc at 5.3.0-994 its now all works fine, I have tried all the previous releases as stated above and they are not in various forms, either no display info show in display settings or flickering still there etc. My only issue now which is more application related is virtualbox needs to recompile stuff against this new kernel.

Mmm… it seems StK dev don’t agree with you. I don’ have the skills to elaborate though.
I just came into that discussion because of i915.