Folder Sharing between Host(Mac) and Guest(Ubuntu Budgie) in VBox

I am new to Ubuntu Budgie. I have looked at other Distributions such as Ubuntu and TrueOS, but Budgie looks to be what I am looking for. I am running Ubuntu Budgie on my Mac through Oracle’s VBox. The installation was easy and it is working very well. The only problem I have is setting up the VBox Guest-Additions so that I can Cut & Paste and set up a shared folder so that I can access files on my Mac. I have looked at several instructions via YouTube but I have been unsuccessful in getting this working. Does anybody have the correct instructions that I need to follow?
I have set up shared folders inVBox and installed the Guest Additions.

I also need to set up access to my HP printer.

1 Like

After further research I have now managed to set up shared folders and shared clipboard. I have also managed to set up my printer. Everything is now working perfectly.

any chance you can share what you did to get stuff working?

Yes, I will try and put something together and post in the next day or so.

I had used the same/similar process before without success. It looks as though the order that things are done is very important!!

Chris Allman

chrisallman72@icloud.com

This is what I did to get shared folders working:

Setting up shared folders when running Ubuntu Budgie on Oracle’s Virtual Box VM

The following process was developed using instructions from various YouTube sources. They may not be the only or correct way to achieve the desired result, but they worked for me.

The following assumes that Ubuntu Budgie has been successfully installed on Oracles Virtual Box and is working correctly.
Install VBoxLinuxAdditions from the VBoxVM-Divices menu by clicking on “Insert Guest Additions CD Image”.
On Ubuntu Budgie open “Files” and click on VBox_GAs_5.2.8. Click on “Run Software” in the dialogue box and click “Run”.
In VBox VM click - “Machine-~Settings-Shared Folders” click + and select the folder to share from the host machine. Select “Auto Mount” and “Make Permanent”.
Open Ubuntu Budgie’s Terminal and enter the following:
sudo bash
Enter password
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install build-essential module-assistant dkms
sudo m-a prepare
6. On Ubuntu Budgie open “Files” and click on VBox_GAs_5.2.8. and copy the VBoxLinuxAdditions.run file and paste into /tmp.
7. Open Ubuntu Budgie’s Terminal and enter the following:
sudo bash
Enter password
ls -la /tmp/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
chmod +x VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
ls -la VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
8. Re-Start Ubuntu Budgie
9. Open Ubuntu Budgie’s Terminal and enter the following:
sudo bash
Enter password
sudo adduser (name given to Ubuntu Budgie) vboxsf
10 Re-Start Ubuntu Budgie and the shared folder will be in the /media folder and also be shown when opening “Files”

1 Like

Superb writeup. Cheers. This will definitely help others with the same issue.

Many apologies, I have noticed a typo - item 7 should read:

Open Ubuntu Budgie’s Terminal and enter the following:
sudo bash
Enter password
chmod +x /tmp/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
/tmp/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

1 Like

I admittedly have it on the list to check out and have not yet, but was the printer issue an easy fix? I also have an hp printer and if there’s advice worth sharing I would gladly accept :slightly_smiling_face:

Otherwise I imagine I will figure it out!

Setting the printer did turn out to be straight forward.

With Ubuntu Budgie running I went to the VBox Devices tab then clicked on USB and the list of attached USB devices was shown. I just clicked on my HP printer. When printing from an app within Budgie the printer was shown.

Hope this helps.

Chris Allman

chrisallman72@icloud.com

I was hoping there would be a way to see it on the network. It’s downstairs at the moment.

I agree, I would expect to see it on the network, unfortunately I don’t have a network printer set up so can’t check it out for you. If I can find out any further info I’ll let you know.

Chris Allman

chrisallman72@icloud.com