Gimp 2.10.12 flatpak : not in my system language

Hello, hello,

I know flatpak is not default in UBudgie 18.04.

It’s not the first time I try to test gimp 2.10.x through snap and flatpak and each time I met the same problem : Gimp 2.10.x sticks to english language whatever I set in its preferences.

It’s the first time I test on my actual UBudgie 18.04 system, so it’s a fresh install of flatpak ( from ppa, no other choice in 18.04 ) and once again, gimp desperatly stays in english whereas my system language is french, even if I choose french in preferences.

So if you have any hints and tips…

On a side note, global-menu applet does not work for gimp flatpak.

To fix it just run flatpak update and after you’ll be able to choose your favorite language in Gimp’s preference.

There is an explanation here and apparently a workaround https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/1574

As to global-menu - that’s a flatpak issue - it hides the menu from the host (ubuntu budgie) - hence the applet cannot see it.

Yes, I was expecting such an answer regarding global menu, unfortunately. This is another sad signal for the future of global menu in Linux.

But big thanks to point me towards the solution, FossFreedom : all I needed was

coeur-noir@asgard:~$ flatpak update
Looking for updates…

ID                                               Arch              Branch            Remote             Download
 1. [✓] org.gnome.Platform.Locale                        x86_64            3.32              flathub              5,0 MB / 319,9 MB
 2. [✓] org.gtk.Gtk3theme.Adapta                         x86_64            3.22              flathub            359,6 kB / 358,3 kB
 3. [✓] org.freedesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel             x86_64            18.08             flathub              1,8 MB / 1,8 MB
 4. [✓] org.freedesktop.Platform.html5-codecs            x86_64            18.08             flathub              2,8 MB / 2,9 MB

Installation complete.
coeur-noir@asgard:~$

So does it mean I’ll have to manually check state of flatpak update ? Isn’t it automatically taken care of system wide ?

( I think I will end up again with otto’s ppa sooner or later, lol )

to be honest - I don’t know much about flatpaks and how they operate :confused:

No problem - you can’t know and do and fix any-every-thing :smile:

Just to add some info : global menu do not work either in Gimp’s AppImage ( but aferrero who packages it is aware ).

I did not test but I guess global menu do not work either in snap for the same reason as flatpak : app can’t « send » menu to system because of confinement / sandboxing…

1 Like