Gnome-maps problem

hi folks,
i’m running 20.04.2 and tried installing gnome-maps through ‘software’ then tried reinstalling through synaptic, then uninstalled and and installed again through synaptic, but continue to get the same error message,
(org.gnome.Maps:7577): Gjs-WARNING **: 11:08:24.823: JS ERROR: Gio.IOErrorEnum: An object is already exported for the interface org.gnome.Sysprof3.Profiler at /org/gtk/Profiler
vfunc_dbus_unregister@resource:///org/gnome/Maps/js/application.js:280:15
main@resource:///org/gnome/Maps/js/main.js:57:24
run@resource:///org/gnome/gjs/modules/script/package.js:222:19
start@resource:///org/gnome/gjs/modules/script/package.js:206:5
@/usr/bin/gnome-maps:2:17

it seemed that it didn’t really install through ‘software’, and though it showed the ‘launch’ button it wouldn’t launch.
thanks for providing a place for those who know what they’re doing to help those of us who don’t,
orm

Is this a native Ubuntu Budgie 20.04.2 install or is this a Linux Mint install? Or have you installed any Linux Mint repos?

hi,
it’s a native ubuntu budgie install, and i don’t believe i’ve put any mint apps in. yesterday i added gnome character map, gnome disks, gnome calculator, midori and gnome web (epiphany) and it does seems some behaviors were a little weird on the laptop, though it was right after i got up and can’t recall exactly what. maybe i should’ve stuck to synaptic and not software.
and thanks @fossfreedom, i barely had time to finish breakfast before you had kindly replied.
-orm

Please can you confirm what you see in the terminal when you type

gnome-maps

I.e. copy and paste here the terminal message you see here

pom@pom-ThinkPad-X61:~$ gnome-maps

(org.gnome.Maps:9036): Gjs-WARNING **: 12:16:12.613: JS ERROR: Gio.IOErrorEnum: An object is already exported for the interface org.gnome.Sysprof3.Profiler at /org/gtk/Profiler
vfunc_dbus_unregister@resource:///org/gnome/Maps/js/application.js:280:15
main@resource:///org/gnome/Maps/js/main.js:57:24
run@resource:///org/gnome/gjs/modules/script/package.js:222:19
start@resource:///org/gnome/gjs/modules/script/package.js:206:5
@/usr/bin/gnome-maps:2:17

Hmm… there is a bunch of reports mentioning recently that gnome maps doesn’t start recently on 20.04 but your message doesn’t appear to be the same as the reports.

I note that the version of gnome maps should be 3.36.1 if that’s the package you have installed.

The latest version of the 3.36 series from gnome is 3.36.7.

I will try to package this version when I can find some free time and will ping you to test a ppa with this to try.

@fossfreedom your rapid and courteous help is always appreciated, and there’s no hurry on this one, i’ll be away from the internet until tomorrow night.
synaptic tells me the installed version of gnome-maps is 1:3.36.5 0ubuntu2
and that that is also the latest version

Well thats very odd - 3.36.5 is not from the main universe repo.

What is the output of the following in the terminal:

apt-cache policy gnome-maps

GNOME apps like Maps, Characters, Disks and Calculator are, as far as I know, already part of the standard Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 package. Why install them again?

I encountered the error message mentioned by @orm a few weeks ago in a thread in the forum of ubuntuusers.de. In this thread, the user tuxifreund points out that it seems to be the bug mentioned here. This bug is said to have been fixed, but it doesn’t seem to be included in Ubuntu yet, because nobody at Ubuntu has taken care of it yet.

Yeah. That’s the other report I mentioned. The OP message isn’t the same. The OP is also using another version of gnome-maps not from the repos.

please subscribe to the launchpad bug report - I’ve uploaded a tentative fix - it needs testing etc - see my comment on the launchpad bug report.

here’s the output of apt-cache policy gnome-maps
Installed: 3.36.1-1
Candidate: 3.36.1-1
Version table:
*** 3.36.1-1 500
500 Index of /ubuntu focal/universe amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

perhaps i don’t understand what a ‘native install’ is. it was standard ubuntu budgie, perhaps i opted to take a limited set of apps, if that was an option during the installation process.
@piscatorius i was surprised to not find character map, disks and calculator in the menu when i pressed the super button and searched for them

i just spent half an hour trying to reset the password for ubuntu one and failing. i’m sorry to not be able to try and work my way to the launchpad bug reports and then try to test what you were kind enough to build, but i’m going to drink a quart of beer and try again tomorrow.

Yep… you ticked the minimal install option in the installer. This basically installs budgie desktop, tilix, Firefox and nothing much else.

i managed to set up a new account with ubuntu one and install gnome maps, thank you @fossfreedom,
it seems to work just fine

Please do add a comment on that launchpad issue so that we can record this officially … then I can proceed with the official upload.

just one thing to make sure that it really is solved- when i try to sign in to gnome maps i get a message that says
‘authorization request failed you have denied application gnome maps access to your account’
i can’t imagine that this has anything to do with the new build you created, as i also never got any confirmation emails from ubuntu one when i tried to change the password etc, so i figure it’s some other problem, i just wanted to make sure of that before i commented on the launchpad bug report

I don’t think the patch causes this. I’m guessing you were playing around with openstreetmap?