19.04 - Budgie Menu empty

Running 19.04 and after todays update an empty budgie menu. However, I am running Nemo and it is managing the desktop.

sounds intriguing - will see what happens with todays daily ISO when it is built.

note - gnome-menus was updated yesterday

http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/g/gnome-menus/gnome-menus_3.31.4-2ubuntu1/changelog

So my bet is that is where the issue could be - but as I said - will need to reproduce on the daily ISO.

filed the following bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-menus/+bug/1812908

So, what is the fall-back strategy? Waiting for an upstream fix may take a while. Can the nightly build revert to an earlier version of gnome-menus until things smooth out?

there isn’t one … basically it was a screw-up.

I’ve stopped Debian falling into the same fate by creating a “serious” bug report - this will stop the broken “ubuntu” version from migrating into Buster (testing).

Unfortunately, in Ubuntu, the proposed and release repo’s are basically just a few hours apart and things migrate automatically.

The only way out of this is to bug-fix the broken gnome-menus … or as I did yesterday compile my own version of gnome-menus from the 18.10 version but with the 19.04 version number and install that.

as I did yesterday compile my own version of gnome-menus from the 18.10 version but with the 19.04 version number and install that

Any way this can go into the night build, or can we get your compile in some way?

well I can throw it into a temporary PPA if that helps.

Will have to wait a few hours until I get to my development box.

well I can throw it into a temporary PPA if that helps.

That would be awesome.

I am bring a new system online and have a version of 19.04 about two weeks old. Using synaptic, can I lock the version of gnome-menu so it won’t be updated?

I’ll give it a minor version bump - so at the moment the version is “3.31.4-2ubuntu1” so I will create a version “3.31.4-2ubuntu1.1”

When the bug fix occurs the version is likely to be “3.31.4-2ubuntu2” so it will install automatically over the PPA version.

Test PPA available with a backported gnome-menus to make things work

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntubudgie-dev/gnome-menus
sudo apt upgrade

Yes, that fixed the problem – thanks.

Have identified a fix working with GNOME/gnome-menus upstream. A fix to gnome-menus is being uploaded to both Debian and Ubuntu and should appear in the next few hours/day