Panels in programs are missing after Upgrade to 20.04

Hey there,

lovin Budgie. But after I did an upgrade to 20.04 all my panels (the part where I can do something like “open file”, “open options” and so on) in my programs are missing (see screenshot plz) and I can’t find any place to change that behaviour.

What am I missing?

Thx for helping out.

Mike

That is as a result of GNOME 3.36 where the appmenu is now removed and is combined with another menu on the decoration bar.

Hey fossfreedom,

thx for the reply. So it is not possible to switch back to the old appmenu-behaviour?

And when not how to I activate the menu on the decoration bar (and what is the decoration bar exactly)?

Thx again, Mike

Are you talking about the file-manager?

Press Alt to display the menu.

The icon in the decoration was removed very late in the development process by GNOME devs. I’m guessing they have removed the code itself - or at least disabled it.

Hi mike,

in some app’s - like Nemo or Firefox - the [ Alt ] key may trigger the « classical » menu.

In some other app’s, that same menu is hidden behind an icon, 3 vertical or horizontal dots or 3 parallel lines, most often at the right of the title bar.

1 Like

Thanks again for your replies.

The app menu is missing in every Gnome-Application and there are no burger menus or something similar. So what I did was to add in my panel settings the Global Menu Applet. So the missing menu entries are appearing within my upper panel:

That is a workaround right now, but I think this is not optimal for a longer time. Especially when you open a programm like Gimp were there are a lot of entries in the panel and not all can be seen.

Mike

Have you tried using a different theme from the Budgie Desktop Settings? Or a different icon theme?

Hey ruwe,

no I did not. Icon set and theme are still the same as before the upgrade.

Mike

Can you try changing the themes? Maybe that solves it… I don’t know if you download themes from the internet … not all of them are compatible … the original ones from Ubuntu Budgie, like Pocillo, should be, though …

Changing the same doesn’t solve the problem - same behaviour.
I use the UbuntuBudgie-original ArcDesign with the Numix Icon Set.

So not an great individual theming.

Mike

Global-Menu-Applet is a nice idea, but you will soon discover it may be broken with some apps ( ie. Firefox ).

Menus are either missing or scattered in other places, thanks to Gnome design.
But Gimp without menus is certainly strange.

I’m not on 20.04 yet, to compare. Don’t hesitate to update your system, maybe some youth bugs ?

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo apt install -f
sudo apt autoremove --purge

third command will eventually install missing dependencies,
fourth will remove unnecessary packages.

Changing themes and icons was also a good idea.

I did all the things you mentioned but still the same behaviour.

Any other suggestions?

Mike

Would you mind pasting here output of :
dpkg -l | grep menu

Didn’t you get any errors or warnings with previously suggested commands about updating ?

Would be interesting to have other people using 20.04 to confirm this behavior about menu…

Please create another account and login with that. What is your experience with the new account - same?

No there were any errors when I upgraded the system or when I used the mentioned commands.

dpkg -l | grep menu says:

ii  appmenu-gtk-module-common                     0.7.3-2                           all          Common files for GtkMenuShell D-Bus exporter
ii  appmenu-gtk2-module:amd64                     0.7.3-2                           amd64        GtkMenuShell D-Bus exporter (GTK+2.0)
ii  appmenu-gtk3-module:amd64                     0.7.3-2                           amd64        GtkMenuShell D-Bus exporter (GTK+3.0)
ii  appmenu-registrar                             0.7.3-2                           amd64        Appmenu DBusMenu registrar
ii  budgie-applications-menu-applet               1.0.1-2                           amd64        Stylish Applications Menu for Budgie-Desktop
ii  budgie-appmenu-applet                         0.7.3+dfsg1-2                     amd64        Application Menu plugin for budgie-panel
ii  gir1.2-dbusmenu-glib-0.4:amd64                16.04.1+18.10.20180917-0ubuntu6   amd64        typelib file for libdbusmenu-glib4
ii  gir1.2-gmenu-3.0:amd64                        3.36.0-1ubuntu1                   amd64        GObject introspection data for the GNOME menu library
ii  gnome-menus                                   3.36.0-1ubuntu1                   amd64        GNOME implementation of the freedesktop menu specification
ii  libappmenu-gtk2-parser0:amd64                 0.7.3-2                           amd64        GtkMenuShell to GMenuModel parser (GTK+2.0)
ii  libappmenu-gtk3-parser0:amd64                 0.7.3-2                           amd64        GtkMenuShell to GMenuModel parser (GTK+3.0)
ii  libdbusmenu-glib-dev:amd64                    16.04.1+18.10.20180917-0ubuntu6   amd64        library for passing menus over DBus - development files
ii  libdbusmenu-glib4:amd64                       16.04.1+18.10.20180917-0ubuntu6   amd64        library for passing menus over DBus
ii  libdbusmenu-gtk3-4:amd64                      16.04.1+18.10.20180917-0ubuntu6   amd64        library for passing menus over DBus - GTK+ version
ii  libdbusmenu-gtk4:amd64                        16.04.1+18.10.20180917-0ubuntu6   amd64        library for passing menus over DBus - GTK+ version
ii  libdbusmenu-qt5-2:amd64                       0.9.3+16.04.20160218-2build1      amd64        Qt implementation of the DBusMenu protocol
ii  libgnome-menu-3-0:amd64                       3.36.0-1ubuntu1                   amd64        GNOME implementation of the freedesktop menu specification
ii  libido3-0.1-0:amd64                           13.10.0+17.04.20161028-0ubuntu2   amd64        Shared library providing extra gtk menu items for display in
ii  menulibre                                     2.2.1-1                           all          advanced FreeDesktop.org compliant menu editor
ii  vala-panel-appmenu-common                     0.7.3+dfsg1-2                     all          Common files for Application Menu plugins

@fossfreedom

With the new account the menu in Gimp is available as it was before the Upgrade - very strange.

:thinking: I Prefer All To Make A Clean Installation … Not Upgrade…

hmm. Can I suggest to reset key areas in dconf - i.e. put things back to their defaults? (copy paste the following)

gsettings list-schemas | grep 'org.gnome.settings\|org.gnome.mutter\|org.gnome.desktop\|org.gnome.system\|solus' | xargs -n 1 gsettings reset-recursively
nohup budgie-panel --reset --replace &

logout and login

is there any possibility to backup the settings first? It took a long time to config the panel as I want.
And when the reset isn’t working I will loose all my settings what would be fine when the reset brings me back the app menu.

This will help