How can I install Budgie on Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS for Raspberry Pi Model 3 B+?

There is this tutorial about how to install Ubuntu 19.04 Budgie on RaspberryPi [Tutorial] Installing Ubuntu Budgie on a Raspberry Pi . Does this work for 20.04 as well?

My config:

• Raspberry Pi Model 3 B+
  • 16 GB SD card
  • Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS for RaspberryPi 3
  • sudo apt-get install ubuntu-budgie-desktop

It should … with a few modifications such as obviously using the ubuntu server 20.04 download as the starting point.

The more powerful rasp 4 with at least 2gb (preferably 4gb) would be a better starting point.

Do try and write up your findings here. TIA

I’ll give it a try with RPi 3b+ but w.o. active cooling the next days. That’s the only model I’ve at home right now. And RPi3 runs usually quite ok w.o. active cooling (in contrast to RPi4b which activates cpu throttling). Probably I’ll run stress or something else for stress testing as well. Do you have some other tool recommendation for stress testing? I’ll keep you updated.

I installed Ubuntu Server 64-bit and installed udo apt install ubuntu-budgie-desktop with the gdm3 option (instead of lightdm). Login as ubuntu was possible. However the Desktop was not started. Trying to start gdm3 manually lead to:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo service gdm3 start
Failed to start gdm3.service: Unit gdm3.service not found.

Obviously gdm3 had to be installed explicitly with sudo apt-get install gdm3 -y. After a reboot I could login. However when I hovered over the icons in the bottom to start Firefox the screen freezed. This happened several times. In summary the result was not satisfying.

I’ll try lightdm instead of gdm3 and let you know about the results @fossfreedom .

can I ask how much RAM are you trying with?

I was looking at this https://www.techrepublic.com/article/raspberry-pi-4-model-b-review-this-board-really-can-replace-your-pc/ and the specs of the 4 is very impressive compared to the 3b.

So I’m curious what your findings will be for the 3b - but still consider (given that article) that the specs of the 4 is a better fit for budgie-desktop.

Yes, I’m quite sure that Budgie Desktop should run on RPi4 quite well. However I cannot try right now.