I have 2 suggestions/requests

I recently got a dell xps 15 and it has a nvidia gpu and I have been messing around with a few dif distro’s.

I’m still running UBudgie on the desktop but is testing PopOS! I installed the nvidia iso by default it comes with the system76 power manager and it is fantastic for users on laptops running Intel/Nvidia combo is this something that can be forked or implemented ? would look great in the raven menu hehehe :grinning:

Other one was tab browsing in file manager while I know it’s possible to install another file manager and it’s possibly not something that is massively in demand and applet or fork of the file manager to allow tab browsing would be a great addition :smile:

Thanks for the great work

feature freeze for 18.10 is tomorrow - so cannot include this.

If someone can do the research to find out where the source is, is it specific to System76 computers, license etc then yes we can look to include this for the wider user community … or specific to budgie.

We are always looking at the file-manager. The key advantage to still using nautilus is the desktop icon support. Until budgie gets native desktop icon support, running nautilus is the background for desktop icons + a separate file-manager is expensive in terms of memory.

I’m confused, doesn’t Pop OS also use Nautilus? For the same reason as desktop icons. They should be the same, no?

I think what the OP is referring to regarding NVIDIA isn’t so much a feature but packaging, as they make an ISO available with NVIDIA in place and the default right from the install (an approach that can be problematic for some, something to discuss elsewhere). I think they have a menu option too to switch between Intel and NVIDIA after a reboot, a la something like the NVIDIA app itself or Bumblebee.

@AcidMonkey, am I describing this correctly? Thanks.

Yes my bad on nautilus all this time and did not ever think their was a tab browse in nautilus but it’s a hot key shortcut derp my bad :blush:

Not talking as much about the pre packaged Nvidia install more (as you mentioned) the menu option to switch between Nvidia and Intel gpu’s + power management settings, I know this can be handled from the terminal but a gui function (when enabled) in raven would be super cool and convenient imo

Quite true. I seem to remember that addressing NVIDIA/Intel switching was eventually on Ikey’s (Solus Budgie) to do list…

I note this dev has created an applet to perform the switch.

I haven’t tried it myself - but its something you may want to look at and feedback your observations

Just to include some links to the system76 power switcher thingy:

It’s written in RUST.

The program the original poster was referring to was probably the gnome shell extension. Well that gui part on the taskbar will not work under Budgie. It would need to be re-written as a stantalone application like psensors. Or otherwise a Budgie specific applet, which is probably vala.

However you can install the cmdline tool for these features on ubuntu. As follows:

1. First, add the system76 ppa
$ sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:system76/pop
  1. Then install the system76 program(s) which you are interested in
$ sudo apt-get install -y system76-power

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED
  nvidia-prime
The following NEW packages will be installed
  system76-power
0 to upgrade, 1 to newly install, 1 to remove and 57 not to upgrade.
Need to get 212 kB of archives.
After this operation, 714 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ppa.launchpad.net/system76/pop/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 system76-power amd64 0.1.2~1535146271~18.04~d792564 [212 kB]
Fetched 212 kB in 3s (61.4 kB/s)         
(Reading database ... 667868 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing nvidia-prime (0.8.8) ...
Selecting previously unselected package system76-power.
(Reading database ... 667856 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../system76-power_0.1.2~1535146271~18.04~d792564_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking system76-power (0.1.2~1535146271~18.04~d792564) ...
Setting up system76-power (0.1.2~1535146271~18.04~d792564) ...
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/system76-power.service → /lib/systemd/system/system76-power.service.
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.130ubuntu3.1) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.18.6-041806-lowlatency
Processing triggers for dbus (1.12.2-1ubuntu1) ...
  1. Try the cmdline program (probably requires a reboot first)
$ system76-power

system76-power [options] [sub-command] [args...]
  --quiet - reduce logging verbosity
  --verbose - increase logging verbosity
  daemon - run in daemon mode
  daemon --experimental - run in daemon mode with experimental features
  profile - query current profile
  profile performance - set profile to performance
  profile balanced - set profile to balanced
  profile battery - set profile to battery
  graphics - query graphics mode
  graphics intel - set graphics mode to intel
  graphics nvidia - set graphics mode to nvidia
  graphics power - query discrete graphics power state
  graphics power auto - turn off discrete graphics if not in use
  graphics power off - power off discrete graphics
  graphics power on - power on discrete graphics

Looks like a nice introduction to the RUST programming language to me. Very good example.

…and maybe don’t let that ppa enabled once the aimed app is installed ?

( just in case it might bring unexpected changes to your actual non-pop-os system )

Yes, indeed. It turns out if you add the system76 ppa, and don’t remove it straight after installing your chosen apt papckage. Then it will try to upgrade quite a few other lower level packages, which pop! OS has recompiled newer versions of itself. Such as the nvidia drivers, plymouth, and perhaps other stuff. Like the login prompt… can lead to unexpected issues. Not recommended !