Japanese no longer working

Hello

I installed UB a while ago and I like it a lot (as I couldn’t get Solus to work on my new hard drive). Back then everything worked fine, but now I’ve noticed that my Japanese setup no longer works. I’m using ibus and mozc, but now it doesn’t show an icon for changing alphabets when choosing Japanese language. I was able to get it to appear by typing “ibus-daemon -drx” in the terminal, but even though I can change to Hiragana etc it still writes in latin. More specifically in Swedish.

I have been using Linux for several years, but am in no way an expert. I have always had problems with getting Japanese to work (why oh why must it be so damn complicated? If one wants Japanese, don’t first give them a crapload of non working options, just use one that bloody works and stick to it!) but at least it worked on Manjaro. It didn’t work on Elementary either actually.

Anyway, I need Japanese to work so any suggestions are welcome.

What version of UB are you using?

18.04 LTS. I forgot to mention that.

Have you got the application indicator applet and the system tray applets added to your panel?

Think mozc icon displays on one of those applets.

No. How do I do that?

Open budgie desktop settings from the menu - click on your panel and check the list of applets displayed.

If they are not on your panel - click the + button to add applets.

I’m not exactly sure what to look for, but I have got the Keyboard layout indicator there. That got Japanese to work in the beginning. Now it just let you chose between languages the same way the language chooser does.

Have you got those two applets in your panel?

Yes, they are both there.

Does pressing Super + Space switch between keyboard layouts?

Yes, that works. I use it to switch between Swedish, Esperanto and Japanese. The two first works flawlessly. But Japanese is shown as JA next to the keyboard icon on the top and it writes only in Swedish. The Mocz icon does not show unless I write in the terminal the way I wrote above, it then shows up as a separate movable tray, but the problem remains unchanged.

hmm - sorry - that is the extent of my knowledge :frowning: I’m just an english single keyboard user.

Hopefully someone else will pitch in.

Additional support places also worth exploring at the same time are askubuntu.com and ubuntuforums.org

Thanks! I hope someone has a solution. Or at least you guys can find the problem and fix it. UG is a nice distro and I hate to have to switch because of this :slight_smile:

Please run these commands:

$ gsettings set org.freedesktop.ibus.panel show-icon-on-systray true

$ gsettings set org.freedesktop.ibus.panel xkb-icon-rgba ‘#ffffff

or you can enable IBus and input Japanese.

I hope you having fun.

Thanks, but that didn’t do anything. And I’ve already got ibus with mozc running. It’s not working is the problem.

Okay, I actually stumbled upon the problem and the solution. I started Language Support and it had some languages missing. I’ve always updated through apt-get so I thought such things were covered. I let it update everything.

Also, for some reason it had changed the Keyboard input method system to XIM. First time I used this setting I did choose Ibus. Changing it back to Ibus solved all my problems. Japanese works fine now :smile:

yay! brilliant news :slight_smile:

I have the same problem with Ubunto 18.04. From the very beginning I am having this problem. I did everything like it is explained here. It all worked till the last step - when it is supposed to be typing in Hiragana, but it just doesn’t. My language selector is switched to Japanese (Mozc) and input method is set to Hiragana, but it just does not type Hiragana (keeps typing in Latin). My keyboard input method is IBus, it is not MIX, so OP’s solution does not seem to apply to me. I have no idea what to do.

Decided to bump this conversation up for anybody who might search for solutions how to enable Japanese input. Didn’t search here when was trying to solve my issue with Japanese and Russian input.

Using Ubuntu forum links others from long time ago fed to me by the search engine didn’t help me at all. Under IBus in the Settings, Russian (yazerty) and Japanese (Mozc) type in Latin alphabet. To be fair, Russian cyrillic was there until the next log in when it got restored to latin alphabet.

After an hour trying to get my IMs to work under IBus I decided to try Fcitx5 instead, since it has worked almost flawlessly for me on Linux Mint, Manjaro Gnome and Manjaro KDE Plasma.

After installing fcitx5, fcitx5 configuration tool and fcitx5-mozcfrom the software centre and logging out and in after configuring it I got it running in application nottifications.

It took me 10 minutes to get it working with no need to create any additional config files in the home directory. Not sure if I’ll try to implement the solution offered by Yasu.

Ibus solution is more integrated into GUI (in my Gnome experience as well, where I got it working), since it uses the tool under Keyboard in Settings and input methods get displayed in the Keboard Layout applet instead of the Applicaton indicators applet.

That’s my input to this topic. Hopefully it helps someone.