Lock screen no longer works after 22.04 upgrade

I upgraded from 20.04 to 22.04

During the process I remember it said the lock screen would be disabled for the upgrade. I assumed that was temporary. It has not worked since. Any help is appreciated.

1 Like

Usually it is because you have GDM as your login manager … or because in the past you have installed gnome-shell

It worked in 20.04 fine. Nothing really looks different except I can’t lock the screen.

I suffer from the too much time has passed and I didn’t make notes bug. I am not sure what I did from the start and I have made tweaks along the way. There was some reason I installed gnome tweaks but don’t remember why now. So I have gnome. But I am always in the budgie environment.

Did I maybe install it with both desktops for some reason several years ago. Maybe. I know I have options on the login screen but I don’t ever use that. Meaning I don’t ever log into a gnome desktop. Don’t like it. That was pretty much the reason for testing budgie and mate, and ending up on budgie.

So is there something new after 20.04 that causes the breaking of the lock?

I can’t think of what issue I would have from purging gnome? I keep trying to remember why I installed gnome tweaks to begin with, and what settings are in that which are not redundant with budgie settings?..

Anyways, look below, it would seem the issue would be gnome if something changed to cause a break from 20.04 to 22.04…

$ ps -ef | grep screensaver
dusty 25006 24823 0 04:34 ? 00:00:00 /usr/libexec/gsd-screensaver-proxy
dusty 66838 66225 0 21:06 pts/0 00:00:00 grep --color=auto screensaver

$ cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager
/usr/sbin/lightdm

$ echo $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP
Budgie:GNOME

$ ls -l /usr/share/xsessions/
total 16
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 6024 May 10 04:35 budgie-desktop.desktop
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 292 Apr 7 15:07 ubuntu.desktop
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 300 Apr 7 15:07 ubuntu-xorg.desktop

… and is the package gnome-shell-common installed?

Yes it is along with quite a bit

gnome-2048/jammy,now 3.38.2-2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-accessibility-themes/jammy,jammy,now 3.28-1ubuntu3 all [installed,automatic]
gnome-bluetooth-3-common/jammy,jammy,now 42.0-5 all [installed,automatic]
gnome-bluetooth-common/jammy,jammy,now 3.34.5-8 all [installed,automatic]
gnome-bluetooth/jammy,now 3.34.5-8 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-calculator/jammy,now 1:41.1-2ubuntu2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-calendar/jammy,now 41.2-3 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-characters/jammy,now 41.0-4 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-color-manager/jammy,now 3.36.0-1build1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-control-center-data/jammy-updates,jammy-updates,now 1:41.7-0ubuntu0.22.04.1 all [installed,automatic]
gnome-control-center-faces/jammy-updates,jammy-updates,now 1:41.7-0ubuntu0.22.04.1 all [installed,automatic]
gnome-control-center/jammy-updates,now 1:41.7-0ubuntu0.22.04.1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-desktop3-data/jammy-updates,jammy-updates,now 42.2-0ubuntu1 all [installed,automatic]
gnome-disk-utility/jammy,now 42.0-1ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-font-viewer/jammy,now 41.0-2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-icon-theme/jammy,jammy,now 3.12.0-4 all [installed,automatic]
gnome-keyring-pkcs11/jammy-updates,now 40.0-3ubuntu3 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-keyring/jammy-updates,now 40.0-3ubuntu3 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-logs/jammy,now 42.0-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-mahjongg/jammy,now 1:3.38.3-2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-maps/jammy-updates,now 42.1-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-menus/jammy,now 3.36.0-1ubuntu3 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-mines/jammy,now 1:40.1-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-online-accounts/jammy,now 3.44.0-1ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-power-manager/jammy,now 3.32.0-2build2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-remote-desktop/jammy-updates,now 42.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-screensaver/jammy,now 3.6.1-13ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-screenshot/jammy,now 41.0-2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-session-bin/jammy,now 42.0-1ubuntu2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-session-common/jammy,jammy,now 42.0-1ubuntu2 all [installed,automatic]
gnome-settings-daemon-common/jammy-updates,jammy-updates,now 42.1-1ubuntu2.1 all [installed,automatic]
gnome-settings-daemon/jammy-updates,now 42.1-1ubuntu2.1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-shell-common/jammy-updates,jammy-updates,now 42.2-0ubuntu0.2 all [installed,automatic]
gnome-shell/jammy-updates,now 42.2-0ubuntu0.2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-software-common/jammy-updates,jammy-updates,now 41.5-2ubuntu2 all [installed,automatic]
gnome-software-plugin-snap/jammy-updates,now 41.5-2ubuntu2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-software/jammy-updates,now 41.5-2ubuntu2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-startup-applications/jammy,now 42.0-1ubuntu2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-sudoku/jammy,now 1:42.0-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-system-log/jammy,now 3.9.90-8 amd64 [installed]
gnome-system-monitor/jammy,now 42.0-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-themes-extra-data/jammy,jammy,now 3.28-1ubuntu3 all [installed,automatic]
gnome-themes-extra/jammy,now 3.28-1ubuntu3 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-tweaks/jammy,jammy,now 42~beta-1ubuntu1 all [installed]
gnome-user-docs/jammy,jammy,now 41.5-1ubuntu2 all [installed,automatic]
gnome-user-share/jammy,now 3.34.0-5 amd64 [installed,automatic]
gnome-video-effects/jammy,jammy,now 0.5.0-1ubuntu1 all [installed,automatic]

sudo apt purge gnome-shell-common

That is enough to make the lock screen work again.

2 Likes

OK I will try that and see how it goes.

Also in looking for that I found…

gdm3/jammy-updates,now 42.0-1ubuntu7 amd64 [installed,automatic]

lightdm/jammy,now 1.30.0-0ubuntu5 amd64 [installed,automatic]

I did run sudo apt purge gnome-shell-common yesterday. That indeed fixed the lock screen.

I don’t see any unfortunate results of that purge. I mean I don’t have a bird to click with several options upon login anymore. But I didn’t use that anyways and do not recall why I had those options either. After login, I noticed Gnome Tweaks was also gone. Likewise I don’t remember why I installed that… don’t remember what tweak I made with it. I thought it was going to be something like I used it for a font or a theme I was used to that got left behind in a previous upgrade. But everything looks fine. Maybe I tinkered with that in the very beginning. Could have had something to do with stuff I did prior to settling on Plank as my navigational pal.

Hello,
I’m having the same issue where after upgrading to Ubuntu 22.04 rhe lock screen doesn’t function (and I have no screen saver options in settings as well).
I tried running the script and it didn’t help, I’m using lightdm.
I do have gnome-shell-common installed and I wanted to purge it, but I get this message:

The following packages will be REMOVED
gdm3* gnome-shell* gnome-shell-common* gnome-shell-extension-appindicator*
gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons-ng* gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock* ubuntu-budgie-desktop*
ubuntu-desktop* ubuntu-desktop-minimal* ubuntu-session*

I don’t quite understand what it means, it sounds like it’s going to remove Budgie and Ubuntu desktops, which sounds concerning.
Should I proceed anyway? What are the consequences of removing these packages, or the gnome-shell-common package in general?

Yes it will remove gnome shell. No it will not remove budgie.

I am not sure why ubuntu-budgie-desktop is being removed. Its a meta package. So dont worry too much. You should reinstall that afterwards.

It means I won’t have Ubuntu desktop installed, only Budgie? They can’t co-exist?
Also, should I run a Budgie installation afterwards, should I prepare it in advance?

Correct. Having both budgie and gnome shell coexisting is difficult. The technical issue is that both gnome-shell and budgie uses the same underlying process called gnome-settings-daemon that manages power and screenlocking amongst many other things.

That process tries to lock things via dbus … but budgie and gnome shell uses two different locking mechanisms… but both are trying to listen to the same dbus call. So its a race of who listens first… and budgie often loses since gjs which is gnome-shell starts first. Its gjs that is removed by gnome-shell-common.

I dont understand your prep question. Installing the package ubuntu-budgie-desktop is needed for upgrading to 24.04 or 22.10 in the future and making sure the budgie uplift works successfully.

Thanks for the explanation.
What I meant was asking if I need to download the Budgie installation for 22.04 in advance and prepare a bootable device in order to reinstall it after I remove the gnome-shell-common package, or should it just work as normal? Because the prompt says this package is going to be removed, and I’m not quite sure if I’m going to have any GUI to work with after I remove it and before I reinstall Budgie again.

Ah. Dont worry. Since you are using lightdm and budgie removing those gnome shell specific packages wont affect your existing budgie install.

I went for it and it worked! Thanks for the patience.

1 Like