Long time no see : last icons in top panel change position

Hi,

I assume it’s because I use http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntubudgie-dev/budgie-extras-daily/ubuntu focal main

For few days maybe a week or two, I noticed icons at the ( right ) end of top panel keep switching place every now and then.

django@ASGARD:~$ dpkg -l | grep budgie | grep applet
ii  budgie-applications-menu-applet       1.0.2+202104032303~ubuntu20.04.1        amd64        Stylish Applications Menu for Budgie-Desktop
ii  budgie-appmenu-applet                 0.7.3+dfsg1-2                           amd64        Application Menu plugin for budgie-panel
ii  budgie-brightness-controller-applet   1.0.2+202104032303~ubuntu20.04.1        amd64        Applet to control the brightness of the screen
ii  budgie-calendar-applet                5.2-0ubuntu1+build1~focal               amd64        Calendar Applet for the budgie-desktop
ii  budgie-dropby-applet                  1.0.2+202104032303~ubuntu20.04.1        all          Applet to popup when a USB device is connected
ii  budgie-extras-common                  1.0.2+202104032303~ubuntu20.04.1        amd64        Shared component of budgie-extras applets
ii  budgie-indicator-applet               0.6.2-1ubuntu1                          amd64        Application Indicator for the budgie-desktop
ii  budgie-keyboard-autoswitch-applet     1.0.2+202104032303~ubuntu20.04.1        all          Applet adding the ability to set a different keyboard layout per application
ii  budgie-network-applet                 2.0-0ubuntu2~eoan                       amd64        Network Applet for the budgie-desktop
ii  budgie-network-manager-applet         1.0.2+202104032303~ubuntu20.04.1        amd64        Network Manager Applet for the budgie-desktop
ii  budgie-pixel-saver-applet             4.0+git20200313-0ubuntu1+build1~focal   amd64        budgie-desktop pixel saver applet
ii  budgie-quicknote-applet               1.0.2+202104032303~ubuntu20.04.1        amd64        Applet providing simple notes capability for the Budgie Desktop
ii  budgie-recentlyused-applet            1.0.2+202104032303~ubuntu20.04.1        amd64        Applet displays files recently accessed for the Budgie Desktop
ii  budgie-screenshot-applet              0.4.3-0ubuntu5+build1~focal             amd64        budgie-desktop screenshot-applet
ii  budgie-showtime-applet                1.0.2+202104032303~ubuntu20.04.1        amd64        Applet displaying date and time on the Budgie Desktop
ii  budgie-trash-applet                   1.0.2+202104032303~ubuntu20.04.1        amd64        Applet allows access to trash capabilities for the Budgie Desktop
ii  budgie-visualspace-applet             1.0.2+202104032303~ubuntu20.04.1        amd64        Show and manage windows in workspaces for the Budgie Desktop
ii  budgie-weathershow-applet             1.0.2+202104032303~ubuntu20.04.1        amd64        Applet to display the weather and forecast
django@ASGARD:~$ 

What’s to be found in my top panel :

When it happens, it’s impossible to move down the one before last item on list, you have to play with last, put it just above, then do it again…

By the way some drag’n’drop into that list would be nice.

( I’m pretty sure I already read something about that, fixing it with replace nohup or something like that )

When icons go wandering it is usually because you have uninstalled an applet that the layout you are using depends upon. When this happens you don’t really have a choice other than to reinstall the missing applets and then reset the panel.

nohup budgie-panel --reset --replace &

For any layout - don’t uninstall the key applets - you don’t need them on the panel - but you still need to have them installed.

Mmm… strange as I did not use « preset » layouts and can’t remember uninstalling any applets.

Well I wouldn’t trust my memory too much though.

Edit : Aaaah it resets everything, my bad.

The out of the box uses a layout - you don’t necessarily have to use one of the other layouts. Uninstalling an out-of-the box applet will cause the wandering issue. Its a pain - its something that seems to have been introduced a long (long long) time ago when multiple panels was introduced.

May I ask what is the default list of installed applets ?

Weird, it’s always in top panel I may see that « position » problem, left panel always look ok.

kept the terminal busy, had to ctrl+c for exiting.

I can’t see which one I’m missing.

If I do something like

sudo apt install --reinstall budgie-desktop

any chance it might reinstall the eventually missing one(s) ?

hmm - no - ubuntu-budgie-desktop is the correct package here. But a --reinstall will not install recommeded packages.

You could use this sort of syntax to reinstall all recommended packages.

apt-cache depends ubuntu-budgie-desktop | \
    awk '/Recommends:/ {system("sudo apt-get install "$2"; sudo apt-mark auto "$2)}'

That though will go through the entire recommended list from ubuntu-budgie-desktop

You will need to rework that if you just want to concentrate on packages named “budgie-”

1 Like

Sorting from the budgie*applets part, I had budgie-hotcorners-applet and budgie-rotation-lock-applet missing.

I don’t use either of those so maybe I had removed them. They can’t disappear by themselves anyway :wink:

Last question : do I need to

in each user’s session ?

Cause I still see icons changing position in some sessions. It looks solved so far in the session where I did the nohup thing.

It needs to be run once in all user accounts where that account has been used during the period when the critical applet(s) was (were) uninstalled.

Perfect. Just as a reminder :

⋅ to export all applets settings
dconf dump /com/solus-project/ > ~/applets_solus
dconf dump /org/ubuntubudgie/ > ~/applets_budgie

⋅ to restore those settings :
dconf load /com/solus-project/ < ~/applets_solus
dconf load /org/ubuntubudgie/ < ~/applets_budgie

Hmm. I wonder if we can do something a little smarter in this area … just a question of what’s the best approach.