Matebook X Pro fingerprint reader support

Ah, that’s better. Good work. 10 hours is pretty sweet. Any other impressions of the laptop overall?

I like having both usb-c and usb-a.
The screen is just beautiful.
Speakers are more than adequate, but I also don’t usually play anything thru speakers to begin with.
Build construction is good. I like the all metal chassis.
Keyboard is good. Travel is short but still enough feedback for me.

I do have one issue with the keyboard. The keys on the bottom left are [ctrl, fn, win, alt]. My hands naturally want to go to the fn key when I do ctrl-c, ctrl-v (with one hand). It is a bit of an awkward stretch to get to the ctrl in the far bottom left.

I do occasionally hear the fan (more than I thought I would) and not when running intensive apps…can be fairly loud.

Trackpad is accurate. I have a slight issue with accidentally resting my palm on the trackpad or making contact with it. It is because that trackpad is gigantic. Not sure if there is a setting (possibly on mac or win) that tries to ignore accidental touches.

It definitely seems very snappy.

I haven’t yet had a chance to install something more heavyweight like intellij idea for coding.
I’ve run minikube on there with no hiccups.

As far as running Linux. The nvidia drivers are kind of crap. I noticed 1) videos were pausing/freezing on youtube and other sites. This is with the nvidia gpu enabled or with it set to intel mode. I don’t see this issue with Nouveau drivers 2) battery life was not great. fixed also by moving back to nouveau driver

anything else you are interested in?

So, this may be a well known Chrome/Chromium problem and not the drivers. Many of us had the same thing on Chrome/Chromium, but not on Firefox. Go into advanced settings and turn off hardware acceleration, and the stuttering should go away.

Another question is what resolution are you using, as that screen is pretty high res. Are you using HIDPI settings and, if so, how is the distro working with them?

I’ve seen that on my macbook as well. As of now it went away after I switched from nvidia to nouveau but if/when I re-enable nvidia i’ll keep it in mind.

I was using the 3000x2000 resolution with scaling set to 200%.

However, I have to use Citrix to get into work and that doesn’t honor or have settings for hidpi which meant my work desktop would be at 3000x2000… everything was microscopically small.

So instead I have set the resolution to be 2160x1440 with scaling at 100%.

Budgie is having no issues with it at all (as far as I can tell).

It is really beautiful and crisp.

OMG, we need to start a Citrix support group… Man that’s terrible software on Linux or anywhere. I need it for work too… I’ve read online some people on Windows are having trouble with very frequent fan activation. Your experience?

When I need something (free) - I use nxmachine. At work I use the pcoip protocol (not free) on the Teradici Cas software (not free!). Full disclosure, I work for Teradici. Not pushing it, just making you aware of some of the more performant protocols/apps…

I recently got myself a Matebook X Pro and I’ve only been running stock ubuntu on it. However, I have read that it can get quite hot when enabling the nvidia drivers, so I’ve just stuck with the default drivers. I can rarely hear any fan noise at all, and I am very sensitive to sounds believe me. The only noise I hear is the coil hiss sometimes.

Any news regarding fingerprint support?

I’ve not read anyone getting fingerprint support working in Linux, but I’m not sure how many have really tried. I think better fingerprint reader support is maybe on the future Ubuntu roadmap (I think it was supposed to be in 18.xx but was dropped).

It depends on your fingerprint reader manufacturer. As fossfreedom noted above, there is the libfprint project that serves to process the fingerprint data. Here is a list of supported manufacturers; https://fprint.freedesktop.org/supported-devices.html.

There is fingerprint reading software for logging in packaged as fingerprint-gui. https://launchpad.net/~fingerprint/+archive/ubuntu/fingerprint-gui and here; http://www.ullrich-online.cc/fingerprint/

My laptop has an Elan fingerprint which for a long time was not supported. Many of the Acer and I think Asus laptops use them. Now I have read it is and will be filtering into Ubuntu with the 0.8.3 libfprint version. Hopefully it will be updated in Manjaro soon as well and I can test it.

I’ve recently purchased a Matebook X Pro and experienced most of the problems all you have reported (firstly with Ubuntu, now trying with Fedora), being the most important, for me, the high power consumption:
I’ve tried with both NVidia and Nouveau drivers, both seem to be high consuming, but I think the real problem is I’ve never switched to intel graphics card (which I would!). How this is done? I didn’t had a lot of time to dig into it, but I think I have to reach this:

is this right?
Being that the case: do I need to install the NVidia drivers (via the “additional drivers” control panel) and then start the nvidia-settings?

Welcome!

Certainly that is the correct screen to switch between intel and nvidia graphics.

Yes - if you open the Additional Drivers window it will offer you the drivers most appropriate to your computer. Install the nvidia driver. After a reboot you will see an nvidia option in your menu that will open the above window.

Hi there. I’m on a Matebook X Pro at work, although I’m running Manjaro KDE on it in that setting with the integrated Intel (although I’m running Manjaro Budgie and Ubuntu Budgie on other machines and can still give some perspective). On that, according to Powertop, with about 28% screen brightness and TLP running, I’m discharging about 5.5W, which gives me about 10 hours of battery life and is running Linux fairly flawlessly.

From what I can see, what you’re doing to activate the Intel GPU is correct in Prime Profiles and should work. Here’s the thing, though. I’ve found the Matebook X Pro doesn’t play nicely with some of the newer Kernels. I’ve downgraded mine to 4.14, and get the power consumption above. If I go up to 4.19 or 4.20, power consumption is cut in half (even though, in theory, those kernels have more advanced power management). The same is true of my kids Xiaomi Laptops running the above Budgies. If I put 4.20 on, those machines get 2.5 hrs. If I use the 4.14 kernels, battery life jumps to 5.5 hrs. Go figure.

Now, to be honest, it’s been a while since I changed kernels in Ubuntu and can’t tell you off the top of my head how to do that (that’s what Google’s for, I guess), but in Manjaro it’s incredibly easy via a GUI app. Try this out and see how that works!

Addendum: Just checked the 5.x kernel on my kids Manjaro Budgie Xiaomi laptop, and it’s performing far better than the 4.19 or 4.20 kernels, with 3.81 W of discharge with no apps running (vs 8.5-9 W in the other kernels and about 4.3W with the 4.14 kernel). I’ll try it on the Matebook X Pro tomorrow.

Wow, that’s really useful!! Thanks for sharing.
In addition, I must say I’ve been suffering strange hangs with Ubuntu 18.10 and Fedora 29… The point is: I do clean instalation of the distro (both happened the same) and everything seems to work fine (rebooting the laptop works properly). Then, after couple of days “filling” the clean instalation (configuring gnome-shell, installing 3rd party software, etc.) at some point (I don’t know why exactly) hangs some seconds after logging into my session. Its weird, I tried to completely remove my home folder contents but it keeps hanging (with the “Welcome Setup” dialog opened). Trying to recover from this state I only found some console messages like “CPU 1 stuck for 22 seconds!”.

Yesterday I made another clean install of 18.04 LTS and changed drivers to NVIDIA (configured using intel graphics). It was the first time I saw power consumption descend to values between 3-5.
I also found problems with the touchpad not working in some cases before reaching these hangs.

I’ll post update on this issue as soon as I get more info.

I’m guessing, isn’t there any public forum where we could organize and share this info better than here? :slight_smile:

Well, this community is very targeted, obviously, to Ubuntu Budgie. Are you on that? What hardware? It sounds to me that something in your “filling” is causing issues, perhaps one of your apps. Are the hangs after the desktop loads, or during boot?

The hangs happen after the desktop loads. I can even open some apps, a terminal, etc. but it hangs about 10 seconds after loggin in.

I’m actually not running Ubuntu Budgie, that’s why I am wondering if there is any better place to discuss about Matebook X Pro issues with linux (not only budgie).
Just to bring more information, I started installing Ubuntu 18.10, which started hanging some days after the fresh install, then I switched to Fedora 29 (couple of days after the fresh install, too), which crashed just yesterday and then I installed Ubuntu 18.04, which for the moment still works fine (I’ll check it when I get home today).

The unfortunate thing is that unless the vendor has a Linux forum supporting their hardware - you would likely need to target a forum based on which Linux/distro you are running.

When it comes to Ubuntu based distros, I would got to https://askubuntu.com/ as it seems to encompass the overall Ubuntu community, and the Ubuntu root system as well.

We always do our best here, but the reality is - the experience will be very different across the different types of Linux due to package versions and how they are configured. It is not something where we can lump “Linux” together. :slight_smile: