Home Store Blog

Matebook X Pro fingerprint reader support

I believe Ubuntu has fingerprint reader support. but I don’t believe the recently released Huawei Matebook X Pro is included. I don’t even see an option for fingerprint in the user account area on Budgie (perhaps because my reader isn’t supported).

When I do lsusb I believe this is the right code that would need to be supported:
05c8:03c0 Cheng Uei Precision Industry Co., Ltd (Foxlink)

Is this something that can be supported in Budgie, or does it need to be in base Ubuntu?

What is the process for requesting the support from the right place?

Can I ask what you would like to do with the fingerprint reader?

Surely… I would like to have it log into the UI instead of the lockscreen password.

This works in windows (so I know the fingerprint reader is working) and I believe there is support in Ubuntu for this, but maybe just not this hardware ID?

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/session-fingerprint.html.en

You will need to create an issue on this upstream project with all the details of your reader.

I looked into this a while back and I think there are one or two utilities that address fingerprint recognition (I think Fingerprint GUI was the last I tried) most of the newer readers aren’t supported (and looking at Fingerprint GUI’s supported lsusb ID’s verifies that for yours). I had one laptop with a supported ID and I still couldn’t get it working. I haven’t seen much desire in Linux-dom for such a feature anyway… Certainly nothing as integrated as Windows Hello in that fashion.

If you find a way to do it, let us know.

BTW, seriously looking at the Matebook Pro X here. How does it run Ubuntu Budgie and Linux so far? What are you getting for battery life? What resolution are you running? Where did you buy yours?

BTW, also from the last time I looked into this, two Linux distros that claim fingerprint recognition as being their thing are Deepin and BackSlash Kristoff. Try those and let us know how that works. I don’t know if they developed their own readers or are using one of the established ones I referred to.

I haven’t looked into it much but I think Fingerprint GUI still uses the other libfprint under the covers.

I’ll take a look and let you know.

As far as the Matebook, I have had it just the one day.

So far it had gotten about 4.5 hours on battery and only using the browser. This is well short of what all the reviews say when using it in Windows, which is usually like 9+ hours.

That being said, I had it on Nvidia GPU for the first 1hr of that time until I figured out how to switch it and also started looking into TLP and Power top.

It runs Budgie super smooth. It literally boots from cold to login in 5 seconds.

I don’t know what resolution right now. I’ll look when I’m home later. I’ve been spending time playing around with plugging in my two external monitors, which are working great.

I have one on order from Amazon but no delivery date so I had talked to my local Microsoft store (Delaware) and had them hold one for me when they got stock. It came in Thursday.

Got $300 in Microsoft store gift cards when you buy in store… although I’m not sure what I’ll ever use those for :wink:

-k

Ok, I thought that might be the case. Thanks for the direct link.

Cheers.

Ok, then if I have any hope of even considering one, I need to reach out to a MS store. Oh, the irony. Everyone else is sold out…

Regarding your battery life, something sounds off. I’m running Ubuntu Budgie on a Xiaomi laptop with a much smaller battery than the Matebook X Pro and using TLP and about 28% screen brightness (a big factor) I get a little over 7.5 hours, better than Windows users get, but not quite enough to make it through a full work day, which is one of the reasons I was considering the Matebook X Pro in the first place. Using UB and the same settings, I was estimating I would get around 10 hrs or so on that, so your experience sounds off…

Make sure you’re in Intel integrated mode and watch your screen brightness. Install the terminal app powertop and see what your power consumption looks like.

I’ve used 3:2 laptop displays in the past, and there’s nothing better for productivity. I’d love to return to that…

Yeah… I’m new to both the matebook x pro and budgie, and I’m just returning to the linux world so I’m still (re)learning a bunch of stuff I need to configure/tweak.

I installed both TLP and powertop. Need to do a little more digging to see if they are set and forget things or if I need to get in there and tweak stuff manually.

Powertop showed a few things that were ‘bad’ and I let it set them to ‘good’.

With those settings, and my screen brightness set around 25%ish i’m currently at 92% and budgie is reporting 6h35m battery remaining.

Btw, the screen is beautiful and bright as hell.

Anything in particular else I should be looking at or tweaking?

-k

Huh, that’s disappointing. What does Powertop show your resting Power consumption to be?

The battery reports a discharge rate of 8.39 W

The power consumed was 166 J

The estimated remaining time is 5 hours, 2 minutes

Currently budgie reports that I’m at 72% battery.

I only have chrome open (with 5 tabs and all are static pages) and the terminal session.

I do notice that the ‘bad’ entries are back. Perhaps I have to apply powertop in a startup script each time?

Bad VM writeback timeout

Bad Runtime PM for I2C Adapter i2c-10 (nvkm-0000:01:00.0-bus-0004)

Bad Runtime PM for I2C Adapter i2c-11 (nvkm-0000:01:00.0-aux-0004)

Bad Runtime PM for I2C Adapter i2c-12 (nvkm-0000:01:00.0-bus-0005)

Bad Runtime PM for I2C Adapter i2c-13 (nvkm-0000:01:00.0-aux-0005)

Bad Runtime PM for I2C Adapter i2c-8 (nvkm-0000:01:00.0-bus-0001)

Bad Runtime PM for I2C Adapter i2c-9 (nvkm-0000:01:00.0-bus-0002)

Bad Runtime PM for PCI Device NVIDIA Corporation Device 1d12

Btw, I changed my resolution to be 2160x1440_60.00.

3000x2000 was ok with scaling, except that I have to use Citrix Viewer to get into work and it doesn’t do scaling, so that was unbelievably tiny.

It was 8.93 discharge rate, but normally it is above 10.
What is yours? Wonder what else I can tweak?

Wow, that’s high discharge. My Xiaomi 13 Air using Ubuntu Budgie usually has a discharge of 4.5-6W with TLP, roughly 30% screen brightness, and bluetooth off. For example, right now, I happen to have a different laptop with Kubuntu 18.04 (a tad heavier than UB) running Citrix, Chrome with lots of tabs, terminal, and bluetooth turned on and my power consumption is 5.8W.

Frankly, your numbers look like my laptop’s numbers when it’s using the Nvidia MX GPU card. Can you verify what GPU you’re accessing?

BTW: No sooner than you asked about fingerprint unlocking than Ubuntu 18.10 was announced today with fingerprint unlocking listed as a major new feature! You can download the beta now…

I saw the Ubuntu fingerprint thing :slight_smile:

wow… discharge ~5?

Yeah, with absolutely nothing open (other than tilix to run the powertop command) it is rarely below 9.

I have it set to use Intel (Power saving mode) graphics from the “Nvidia X Server Settings”.

Anything else I can check to confirm which is in use?

FYI… I got this back:

lspci -vnnn | perl -lne ‘print if /^\d+:.+([\S+:\S+])/’ | grep VGA

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 620 [8086:5917] (rev 07) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

I noticed this:

7.83 W 15.0% Display backlight

This is with the backlight turned way down. Probably 10% or so.

That seems like a lot of consumption, no?

Based on a suggestion I switched from Nvidia-390 driver back to Nouveau.

Now my results look like this:
The battery reports a discharge rate of 5.63 W

The power consumed was 190 J

The estimated remaining time is 10 hours, 0 minutes

That is with 96% battery, so I would expect to be slightly over 10hrs if that is accurate.

That definitely sounds like a big bug with the Nvidia proprietary drivers.

Please report it via typing the following so that the canonical devs are aware and can advise further what to try .n.b. you will need to switch back to the Nvidia drivers to report it

ubuntu-bug nvidia-390

Will do. Thanks for the tip on how to.