Nemo and music files ⋅ no pictures?

Hello,

Is Nemo able to show « art-cover » of music files, instead of their generic mime-icon type ?

Here is what I can see through Nautilus ( UbUnity 16.04 ) for a music folder :

and that same folder in Nemo ( UBudgie 19.10 ) :

Yes, my music files almost all have « embedded » pictures ( thanks Sayonara ) because I love my music to keep its face whatever devices I play it.

Apparently upstream say that “ugly” package is needed

gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly was already installed on my system.

No such thing as gstreamer1-plugins-ugly available.

Some things to do to « enable » thumbnails ?

But I have to admit i did not understand clearly what to do.

Use ffmpeg as a thumbnailer ? I think it’s already there :

django@ASGARD:~$ dpkg -l | grep thumbnail
ii  ffmpegthumbnailer                     2.1.1-0.2build2                     amd64        fast and lightweight video thumbnailer
ii  libffmpegthumbnailer4v5               2.1.1-0.2build2                     amd64        shared library for ffmpegthumbnailer
ii  libgdk-pixbuf2.0-bin                  2.40.0+dfsg-3                       amd64        GDK Pixbuf library (thumbnailer)
django@ASGARD:~$ 

I edited as suggested the ffmpegthumbnailer.thumbnailer file but still no face for my mp3.

Is a newer version of ffmpeg needed ?

Did you test what happens if you manually run ffmpegthumbnailer against one of your mp3 files that you definitely have an embedded coverart?

ffmpegthumbnailer -i 'path-to-mp3.mp3' -o test.png
django@ASGARD:/media/DATA/Bibliothèque Musicale/Bibliothèque/Abd Al Malik/Gibral
tar$ ffmpegthumbnailer -i 01\ Gibraltar.mp3 -o test.png
[mp3 @ 0x56303d9778c0] Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
Error: decodeVideoFrame() failed: frame not finished
django@ASGARD:/media/DATA/Bibliothèque Musicale/Bibliothèque/Abd Al Malik/Gibral
tar$ 

That explains why no thumbnails. It cannot find the picture embedded in the mp3 file.

As to how and why that’s not something I am familiar with.

Remember : this exact same mp3 file shows its face on Ubuntu 16.04 / Nautilus. It was also true on Ubuntu Budgies 18.04. On the same hardware. And if I copy that file onto a window box or on my phone or tablet, it keeps its face.

So this file has an embedded picture.

ffmpegthumbnailer may be unable to extract it but I almost sure it’s not a problem within the mp3 file.

So that means the issue must be ffmpeg since the version of ffmpegthumbnailer is basically unchanged between 18.04 and 20.04

ffmpegthumbnailer utilises the ffmpeg library to do its work.

Is it possible configuration of ffmpeg has changed between 18.04 and 20.04

as ffmpegthumbnailer seems to depend on some internal flag of ffmpeg ?

I’m trying to target « where / to whom » report…

Its using a ffmpeg software library api call.

ffmpeg itself has an extensive command line so its possible todo something like the thumbnailer command line above. The exact syntax I don’t know … ffmpeg --help

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ffmpegthumbnailer/+bug/1882471

If anyone is affected…

Errr… a strange way to « solve » that issue : installing Nautilus.

…then Nemo uses thumbnails for mp3 files.

Now I have removed Nautilus and thumbnails for mp3 files keep showing in Nemo - so Nautilus may not be of any help here finally ?

django@ASGARD:/usr/share/thumbnailers$ cat * | grep Exec
TryExec=evince-thumbnailer
Exec=evince-thumbnailer -s %s %u %o
TryExec=ffmpegthumbnailer
Exec=ffmpegthumbnailer -i %i -o %o -s %s -f
TryExec=/usr/bin/gdk-pixbuf-thumbnailer
Exec=/usr/bin/gdk-pixbuf-thumbnailer -s %s %u %o
TryExec=gnome-thumbnail-font
Exec=gnome-thumbnail-font --size %s %u %o
TryExec=/usr/bin/gdk-pixbuf-thumbnailer
Exec=/usr/bin/gdk-pixbuf-thumbnailer -s %s %u %o
TryExec=/usr/bin/totem-video-thumbnailer
Exec=/usr/bin/totem-video-thumbnailer -s %s %u %o
django@ASGARD:/usr/share/thumbnailers$ 

Totem maybe ? Seems it deals with mp3

django@ASGARD:/usr/share/thumbnailers$ cat totem.thumbnailer 
[Thumbnailer Entry]
TryExec=/usr/bin/totem-video-thumbnailer
Exec=/usr/bin/totem-video-thumbnailer -s %s %u %o
MimeType=application/mxf;application/ogg;application/ram;application/sdp;application/vnd.apple.mpegurl;application/vnd.ms-asf;application/vnd.ms-wpl;application/vnd.rn-realmedia;application/vnd.rn-realmedia-vbr;application/x-extension-m4a;application/x-extension-mp4;application/x-flash-video;application/x-matroska;application/x-netshow-channel;application/x-ogg;application/x-quicktimeplayer;application/x-shorten;image/vnd.rn-realpix;image/x-pict;misc/ultravox;text/x-google-video-pointer;video/3gp;video/3gpp;video/3gpp2;video/dv;video/divx;video/fli;video/flv;video/mp2t;video/mp4;video/mp4v-es;video/mpeg;video/mpeg-system;video/msvideo;video/ogg;video/quicktime;video/vivo;video/vnd.divx;video/vnd.mpegurl;video/vnd.rn-realvideo;video/vnd.vivo;video/webm;video/x-anim;video/x-avi;video/x-flc;video/x-fli;video/x-flic;video/x-flv;video/x-m4v;video/x-matroska;video/x-mjpeg;video/x-mpeg;video/x-mpeg2;video/x-ms-asf;video/x-ms-asf-plugin;video/x-ms-asx;video/x-msvideo;video/x-ms-wm;video/x-ms-wmv;video/x-ms-wmx;video/x-ms-wvx;video/x-nsv;video/x-ogm+ogg;video/x-theora;video/x-theora+ogg;video/x-totem-stream;audio/x-pn-realaudio;audio/3gpp;audio/3gpp2;audio/aac;audio/ac3;audio/AMR;audio/AMR-WB;audio/basic;audio/dv;audio/eac3;audio/flac;audio/m4a;audio/midi;audio/mp1;audio/mp2;audio/mp3;audio/mp4;audio/mpeg;audio/mpg;audio/ogg;audio/opus;audio/prs.sid;audio/scpls;audio/vnd.rn-realaudio;audio/wav;audio/webm;audio/x-aac;audio/x-aiff;audio/x-ape;audio/x-flac;audio/x-gsm;audio/x-it;audio/x-m4a;audio/x-m4b;audio/x-matroska;audio/x-mod;audio/x-mp1;audio/x-mp2;audio/x-mp3;audio/x-mpg;audio/x-mpeg;audio/x-ms-asf;audio/x-ms-asx;audio/x-ms-wax;audio/x-ms-wma;audio/x-musepack;audio/x-opus+ogg;audio/x-pn-aiff;audio/x-pn-au;audio/x-pn-wav;audio/x-pn-windows-acm;audio/x-realaudio;audio/x-real-audio;audio/x-s3m;audio/x-sbc;audio/x-shorten;audio/x-speex;audio/x-stm;audio/x-tta;audio/x-wav;audio/x-wavpack;audio/x-vorbis;audio/x-vorbis+ogg;audio/x-xm;application/x-flac;
django@ASGARD:/usr/share/thumbnailers$