Nemo style for Pocillo Theme

About a week ago, I participated in a discussion about the Nemo’s unfavorable styling.

In my opinion, make Nemo look a little more like Nautilus could significantly increase its appeal. What I find could enhance the looks would be make the sidebar buttons higher, as well as the increase the height of the title bar.

From the discussion I understood that that I could make some adaptations, what I did. I then posted the relevant part of the code. Unfortunately, without hearing back.

Now I wonder if there is something with my work that I could do better :slight_smile:

Here is the code again. A small feedback would be really appreciated.

Line 1.207:

.ssd decoration {
      box-shadow: 0 3px 3px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.16);
      padding-top: 14px; 
      padding-bottom: 14px; 
      /* added padding top and bottom */
} 

This increases the height of the title in Nemo and Gtk-2 applications, so they match height of the title bar in Nautilus.

Line 6.676:

.nemo-window scrolledwindow.frame .view:not(:selected) {
        background-color: transparent;
        padding-top: 4px;
        padding-bottom: 4px;
        /* added top and bottom padding */
 }

This increase the height of the buttons in Nemo’s sidebar. The buttons now match the height of the buttons in Nautilus’ sidebar.

Does this help?

Apologies for not getting back to you. I have been snowed under with life stuff. This is on my radar.

Thx in advance for your patience.

Cool, thanks for your feedback. I understand that you must be busy.

This is the first time that I make a contribution to an open source project, so I am neither familiar with the proceedings, nor with the acceptance criteria.

But seeing this in practice would definitely boost my spare-time-programmer-ego. :slight_smile:

I agree with the decoration change - I looked at Qogir Budgie and the standard decoration size matches the CSD decoration as well. :+1:

Just need to make sure the slim variants of the theme works as well - but making changes via the .scss files will ensure this automatically.

For the side bar I superimposed the changed Nemo (background) with Nautilus (foreground picture) - the Nemo spacing is larger that Nautilus. The principle I do agree with though. Just needs a bit of finesse.

If you can please fork the project on github and make the changes (dealing with the spacing issue) I can then merge your contribution - and also your name will be part of the Contributors as well :slight_smile:

Happy also to look at any other proposals as well - feedback via github is much easier since suggestions can be merged and tested.

Cheers.

Hi David, I have made the adjustments to the spacing issue and was trying to make the changes in the GitHub project today. Oddly enough, when I search the directory (Find File button), I am unable to locate any gtk.css file. (But it is inside the downloaded folder).

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Ah…

Modern themes now use sass. You compile the sass files and it will generate all the possible variants I.e. dark, light, standard plus slim and normal variants for all of those.

Sass is pretty powerful, follows the css syntax somewhat but you use variables and such like rather than hardcoding values. So just change the variable values and all parts of the theme will be changed at the same time

The prerequisites are in the README together with the installation instructions.

Working with sass is a little beyond my present socpe. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Is there a way to submit the relevant part of the code more easily, maybe filing an issue?

Trust me… it is well worth the effort. It will make maintenance so much easier.

But sure. Raise an issue and at some point when I get some time will retrofit the changes into the sass code.

Just found time to submit the issue.

How does sass work. Can you recommend any tutorial?

This is the key website for sass

https://sass-lang.com/guide

Tweaked on the github project for 20.04

1 Like