Os-prober and the problems with it being disabled

in 22.04 os-prober is disabled and that will be a problem for many people new to linux, most of which will be dualbooting.

They will simply think that windows will be deleted and they will think that linux is not suitable for them.

Is it possible to fix this issue?

I’ve asked the Canonical release managers whether they are going to cover the workaround:

1. edit the /etc/default/grub file to add GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false to this file.
  2. Save this file,
  3. update grub and Grub should see other operating systems now.

You also asked this question at About os-prober and the problems with it being disabled - Development Discussion - Ubuntu MATE Community

(this reply is in two parts as I can’t post multiple links on this discourse yet)

My response there was

Have you tested it?

I don’t believe it is an issue. Yes in early QA testing it was an issue where my multi-boot machines ended up only with the new install listed in grub 2.06, but it’s not been that way for some time.

On the Lubuntu jammy issue tacker that was listed as the first issue, it was marked as resolved on March 27, and was later dropped from the list of items of issue.

I’ve had the same results with other Ubuntu flavors I’ve QA-tested as well.

FYI: the date I listed was from the history the Lubuntu jammy issue tracker post (it was quick & easy to get)… The change will be documented in bug reports & I can find the actual date if required, but I don’t see it as necessary… The issue hasn’t been reported in QA-testing for some time, see List of results for bug #1955109 (and its duplicates) | Ubuntu QA