Power Management

Perhaps I am not looking in the right place. But, I would like a bit more control over my laptop power settings. For example, while on AC, when I close the lid, I don’t want the laptop to go into sleep mode.

So, is there something I have overlooked?

OK, figured it out. Using the dconf Editor the /org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/power/lid-close-ac-action was set to suspend. I changed it to nothing.

However, this begs the question; why would the default on AC be set to suspend when a laptop lid is closed? Wouldn’t this mess up using a laptop to drive an external monitor?

hmm curious why that setting is relegated to GNOME’s “Tweaks” as well. odd.

Yeah - it is the default set by GNOME.

There is another dconf key in that same section “lid-close-suspend-with-external-monitor” with an description which I’ve interpreted to mean “force suspend when monitor is connected and lid is closed” - so I’m guessing if you have an external monitor connected, suspension wouldn’t automatically happen.

Well, I think I jumped the gun. Setting lid-close-ac-action to “none” seems to have no action e.g. reboot and closing lid puts laptop into sleep while on AC

does any of this help?

I made a change to /etc/systemd/logind.conf Removed # from line HandleLidSwitchExternalPower=suspend and changed the =suspend to =ignore

After a reboot, tested on two laptops, closing lid on AC doe not go into suspend mode. On battery, closing lid will go into suspend.