Ranked audio outputs switching. sound/tv/headset

First, I have to say that I am amazed by the new Ubuntu 20.04 Budgie iso install. This is streets ahead of Budgie on Ubuntu 18.04, which itself left Ubuntu Gnome streets behind. Solus Budgie is also quite an exciting piece of technology, but that’s another story.

It’s pretty much in the title. If I had any wish on any OS it would be to have default a reasonable default, of adjustable order, ranked audio output. On my computer, for example, I would be listening through the TV HDMI, then I’d turn on or plug in my wireless headset via USB dongle that I had to move over from another computer, and I would be listening to that, then I would unplug them both, and the audio would come out of the tablet speakers. If my TV speakers blow out, I would like to be able to make the tablet speakers the default, or an analog mini audio jack.

I would be interested in knowing if there is already an established way of doing this, but if there is not and some internet scouring is needed, or beta testing, I am also interested in that. I am just a hobbyist who used to use Debian to make music like 10 years ago, but I have a lot of patience (and no particular programming skill), so if there is an answer and an explanation, I would also read and be grateful for that.

HBY

1 Like