So what's the deal with SNAP & COMMON folders?

I’m still noobie here. When I download a file from Firefox and specify where I want the file to go, I have the feeling Budgie has other plans.

Say I download a vid from YouTube. To ‘Downloads’.

1. If I go to the Downloads folder in Files, it’s not there.

2. If I ask Firefox to reveal the downloaded file location, FF doesn’t take me anywhere but instead informs me it’s in

home/me/snap/firefox/common/downloads

1. and wants to open it instead of reveal it (WTF?!?)

2. And so to actually get to that file I have to manually go get it.

What am I missing people? I want a download to appear where I asked not in some maze of mysterious folders.

Snap’s sandboxing.

It means your Firefox is a snap package, instead of the easy legacy apt package.

Was that snap installation of Firefox made on purpose ?

I don’t think Budgie comes by default with Firefox as a snap… does it ?

Those commands may help :

snap interfaces <snap>
snap connect <snap>:<plug>

to find what can be connected to Firefox ?

sudo snap connect firefox:removable-media

…I did not try myself.

inspiration sources : https://docs.snapcraft.io/reference/snap-command#interfaces and https://askubuntu.com/questions/1035985/how-to-setup-gimp-2-10-on-ubuntu-16-04-xenial-xerus

Thanks for reply.

I did not intentionally get snappy. I simply downloaded Firefox from within the software ‘store’ or whatever it’s called.

How big a concern is sandboxing in Ubuntu? I’m not running any virus stuff. Should I be?

Errr… good question… I can’t see the need, but it’s just my - maybe - misinformed point of view.

All these ( ubuntu derived ) stores show snap package before - or instead of - regular apt packages, and that’s a pity.

Did you try any of the commands in the previous post ?

Or you may prefer removing the Firefox snap package, and installing Firefox apt package from official repositories of your distribution…

To remove :
snap remove firefox

To install :
sudo apt install firefox

To browse through packages available from official repositories, you can use synaptic. It’s less « pretty » than a software-store but only deals with robust apt packages management ( no snap, no flatpak, no AppImage there ).

Don’t get me wrong : snap, flatpak and AppImage are nice things. But nowadays not so easy to manage ( sandboxing might not be comfortable, translations may be missing, config’ files moved, need more space on disk, slower to launch… ) Unless your desired app’ only exists in such of these package, I recommend to stick to good old apt packages.

1 Like

So I de- SNAP’D WITH SUDO APP. Nice to have my folder structure back

:sunglasses:

I’ve never used snap and I’ll never ever use snap for the future.
If I need anything I do it over the terminal Tilix:Standard.