Testing 20.04 - only for the most adventurous

Yes, definitely is bug 1866844.
I̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶r̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶c̶o̶m̶m̶e̶n̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶i̶x̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶.̶

I just installed Budgie 20 onto my PC (not EFI laptop which was fraught with problems).
Possibly one of the easiest customs installs Ive done. The customizer however, did find swap files through my system and checked as if wanting to use them all.
The best thing was the interface gave me a confidence that I have not experienced before with other Ubuntu installs; the install guys have done their homework apart from those with EFI eg Lenovo notebooks being a bit tricky as reported elsewhere.

As an aside, I used Teejay APTIK gtk to install my stuff from my test notebook. Been using that for weeks to make sure Budgie was better than Elementary. That worked almost as easily as the install and if you use Teejay work, please donate even $5 would help he is a brilliant programmer, and if no donations, the apps may disappear (I found the freebies hard to find already).

I know there are many who are happy to reinstall O/S, and your apps but I for one simply dont have the time to reinstall apps especially when there are so many; each re-install could take a day or more. Teejay comes to the rescue.

I used to do freeware and remind that you work for free?; if you expect it so then you expect problems down the track; thats why I also recommend supporting Budgie team; they are full of enthusiasm now, but everyone has to earn a living. Be kind, be generous, and you will in turn be rewarded.
Thats my bit for the day I hope you understand. (Im not Budgie, but Im a Christian and kindness has its merits).
Budgie admins please withdraw my post if its not compliant with your rules; its my opinion, and may be unacceptable I understand.

1 Like

Hello all, I test in my virtual box Budgie 20.04. After Installation when I start application the system log me out. In the logs I see two important ones: “CRITICAL: We failed, but the fail whale is dead. Sorry…” and “Unrecoverable failure in required component budgie-panel”. Thank you for your help. Have a nice day!

Yeah - this still applies Testing 20.04 - only for the most adventurous - its a known bug that Canonical are working on - removing that package will get you going.

Thank you very much, yes I can confirm after executing sudo apt-get remove gstreamer1.0-vaapi I do not have anymore this problem.

I’ve just installed for the 2nd time yesterdays daily! I did a PT_BR installation on a VM. after installation the system booted ok, Budgie Welcome opened normally. on opening the Language and Support option the system kicked me out and showed the login screen, after login again no configuration application opens all of them kick me out of the system, including Budgie Welcome.

the Apport opens the message asking if I want to report the problem, but it does go on.

Here are the important logs from the session.

09:44:37 spice-vdagentd: Error getting active session: No data available
09:44:37 lightdm: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
09:44:31 systemd: Failed to start BAMF Application Matcher Framework.
09:44:31 lightdm: PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet5.so
09:44:31 systemd: Failed to start BAMF Application Matcher Framework.
09:44:29 lightdm: PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet5.so
09:44:29 systemd: Failed to start BAMF Application Matcher Framework.
09:44:29 gnome-session-b: CRITICAL: We failed, but the fail whale is dead. Sorry…
09:44:16 lightdm: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
09:44:08 systemd: Failed to start BAMF Application Matcher Framework.
09:44:08 lightdm: PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet5.so
09:44:08 systemd: Failed to start BAMF Application Matcher Framework.
09:44:07 lightdm: PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet5.so
09:44:07 systemd: Failed to start BAMF Application Matcher Framework.
09:44:07 gnome-session-b: CRITICAL: We failed, but the fail whale is dead. Sorry…
09:17:48 lightdm: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file

look above - same issue

thanks! just added a me too! on the bug

I am having trouble with opening login window preferences and synaptic. The password dialog box won’t open. I can use the sudo -H command to use synaptic, but not the login window utility. It did work when installing a new daily build some days ago.

Ack. Have a fix in prep. Needs more internal testing etc. Will release in the next day or two.

This has now been fixed and the budgie-extras and budgie-desktop packages have been uploaded to ubuntu for building. These should be built and released sometime over the next 24 hours. Just update as normal tomorrow

Oh. I can confirm it also happens in other flavors, like « default » Ubuntu 18.04 installer…

I am having the same issue with root to synaptic, synaptic will not even open. In nemo if I right click to open as root, nothing. In a terminal I do get to the # prompt.And Nemo and synaptic open fine.

I just did ap dist-upgrade and fixed. All functioning as expected.
Thank You
and sorry

The Ubuntu daily build US download mirror is broken. This affects mate as well. The direct link on the Budgie homepage also fails. This is not connectivity related and affects other people.

FYI - I could download from here. http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-budgie/daily-live/current/ and from our site. What is the actual error?

EDIT - thank you for your time.

The estimated download time and speed changes rapidly and the message is “download failed” The Vanilla Ubuntu link works and it appears to be the flavors that are affected. The link you provided also failed last night and today.

I just downloaded it again, and it took less than 4 minutes for me.

iso-dl

Is there someone (particularly in the USA) else that can attempt downloading from the above URL?

I suspect this there is a potential issue between you and the host. It’s difficult to troubleshoot are we are each taking a different routing path to the location. If we can get a few people reporting this issue I might be able to escalate to the Canonical admins. We just need to be able to reproduce beyond a single instance.

Thank you all.

It is affecting people in various states not just me. As stated it is a US download mirror problem.

Ok understood. I thought us was referring to your location as I had not caught on that there are other US Users having issues.

All: a bit of a FYI

GNOME Upstream have now removed the split of Application Menus from the Window menu. So for Budgie this means there is no separate “Application” icon in the decoration to show the appmenu. Appmenus are now combined in the Window menu.