User Profile no longer runs budgie-desktop session properly locally after xRDP login?

So I just did some tests with new user accounts and I am finding that any user account that I log into it via xrdp will no longer be accessible locally… the desktops end up loading to this screen on the local PC. Any ideas on how I can fix this?? It appears something is going awry with the user profile. @fossfreedom

I can sorta get things to load up if I run this, but it really isn’t fully linking up correctly… can’t use the launcher to log off and the global menu won’t work either.

budgie-wm&
budgie-panel&

If nothing else I guess I am about to start backing up this user profile and compare how it changes once an xrdp session occurs as that is most definitely breaking user accounts on 21.04 and maybe prior versions.

To delete a user account successfully though so it can be recreated was a bit difficult too due to gvfs being mounted.

sudo umount /home/rreaves2/.cache/gvfs
sudo deluser --remove-home rreaves2
sudo rm -rf /home/rreaves2
ls /home

I discovered the culprit…

sudo vi /home/rreaves2/.xsessionrc

export GNOME_SHELL_SESSION_MODE=ubuntu
export XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=ubuntu:GNOME
export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg/xdg-ubuntu:/etc/xdg

simply removing that file allows for me to log back in locally without issue.
sudo rm /home/rreaves2/.xsessionrc

Figured it out by copying my profile before and after I logged in with xrdp and the using diff -q against the 2 copies I had created.

The real cause of this issue is because I use this script I believe and that the startwm file was creating that xsessionrc. I have commented it out now.

/etc/xrdp/startwm.sh

#Improved Look n Feel Method
# cat <<EOF > ~/.xsessionrc
# export GNOME_SHELL_SESSION_MODE=ubuntu
# export XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=ubuntu:GNOME
# export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg/xdg-ubuntu:/etc/xdg
# EOF

bottom of the file looks like this - I added budgie-desktop there.

if test -r /etc/profile; then
        . /etc/profile
fi

# test -x /etc/X11/Xsession && exec /etc/X11/Xsession
#exec /bin/sh /etc/X11/Xsession

exec budgie-desktop

https://www.c-nergy.be/products.html

1 Like