Wrap Around Desktops

Via Gnome extensions, I can get a Gnome desktop to have wrap around virtual desktops.

These are the two features I find missing in Budgie:

1. Wrap around work spaces, where the virtual desktops “wrap around” when you reach either the last or first one. Say, for example, you have 4 virtual desktops and you use ctrl-alt right to cycle through them, when you get to the last one you should flip back to the first one.

2. Dynamically allocated work spaces (virtual desktops) like Gnome.

Please raise two issues on the upstream tracker for each of the requests. Thx

You know, I have some minor experience programming in Perl, Pascal and Python, among others, but I’ve never had extensive experience helping developers on GitHub, so I’m hoping someone who knows how should send this suggestion upstream to the Budgie developers.

1. There needs to be a desktop wraparound feature so that when you get to the last virtual desktop it wraps around to the first desktop, and vice versa. You can do this in Gnome with some gnome shell extensions. Here’s what the extensions say, and they all work. Can’t we get this on Budgie too? It’s a great feature.

2. When using the mouse whee; anywhere in the taskbar the desktops should rotate.

Workspace Switch Wraparound

When switching workspaces, going down from the bottom workspace switches to the top workspace. Likewise, up from the top workspace goes to the bottom workspace.

Workspace Switcher WrapAround

When switching workspaces, going down from the bottom workspace switches to the top workspace. Likewise, up from the top workspace goes to the bottom workspace. Now 3.6 Compatible.

Extension Homepage

You may need that wraparound feature. I may not want it.

I don’t know what upstream thinks about it - there is no good or bad idea here, just choices maybe by design.

There are already other ways to jump from a workspace to another in Budgie : Workspace Switcher and Visual Space. Both are applets for panel.

( Since it’s mutter behind the wheels there probably is a way to achieve the behaviour you like… don’t know )

It should be configurable, like many other DEs. So if you don’t want wraparound desktops you just don’t have that configured. If I want wraparound, I should be able to configure it.

That’s the whole idea, right? Freedom and configurability? We shouldn’t be limited by the DE. It should be configurable and then get out of the way.

As previously mentioned, a request needs to be raised on the upstream github tracker

Any DE brings its limitations and features. That’s exactly why there are many DE, each one bringing its own touch and fashion.

Why « should » ? If Budgie’s dev’s don’t like that wraparound thing it’s their right not to implement it.
You are free to use any DE which offers that feature, after all. There are other ways in Budgie to browse workspaces.

I’m not saying your expectation is bad - but don’t expect upstream to give an immediate answer to it.