18.04 Workspace Switching Speed

Hello :wave:

Firstly, fantastic desktop! I love love love it.

I used to use 17.10, and workspaces became a standard part of my workflow. Since upgrading to 18.04, however, there has been a significant delay (200-300ms) after using my keybindings to switch. Is this something that is customisable?

On 18.04, both workspace change animations and, in combination with that, dynamic workspaces were added to the desktop. Mutter however limits the speed it can be done with, which causes your delay. If you think the disadvantage is bigger than the advantage of the workspace (position) feedback + dynamic workspaces, you can disable this by the command:

gsettings set org.ubuntubudgie.visualspace show-visual false

To enable again:

gsettings set org.ubuntubudgie.visualspace show-visual true

2 Likes

Thanks for those! Do they require relog/reboot to apply?

No, just editing the dconf value will do the job.

Maybe worth mentioning, you can also jump over multiple workspaces with the wmover applet. Once activated, press Ctrl+Alt+S and press the workspace to jump to. (Either the number key or the representing button)

I’ve applied those settings, but unfortunately it’s had no effect :sadparrot: I use SHIFT+CTRL+<left/right> to switch workspaces, if it makes any difference.

Ah, wait, I forgot you are still redirected to the custom switcher.

• Open Settings > Keyboard, remove the shortcuts: Move to Workspace left / Move to Workspace right in custom shortcuts.
  • Run the commands: gsettings reset org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings switch-to-workspace-right and gsettings reset org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings switch-to-workspace-left.

Keep in mind that you need to disable these values again, and add the original (Budgie) commands if you need or want to revert.

The Budgie commands, replacing these commands:

/usr/share/budgie-desktop/visualspace/visualspace prev

and

/usr/share/budgie-desktop/visualspace/visualspace next

2 Likes

Thank you very much vlijm! That has resolved my issue!

10/10 support would have another issue again

This saved my work life. That feature was slowing down my machine significatively. Thanks!