18.10 to 19.04 Upgrade failed

I upgraded one of my more complex machines today, a Thinkpad T450S running 18.10 to 19.04. This machine has a LAMP server installed with other development apps. Anyway, half way through the update I received a notice that a kernel upgrade failed, and then later on the update failed completely and said that the system is in an undetermined state.

So, the system boots to 19.04 with a 5.0.0.13 kernel. Apache seems to work OK. However, Nemo was not installed. So installed it from the repository. Any suggestions – I can do a clean install if necessary.

Probably easier to revert to your backup and run through the upgrade again.

The key packages from a UB point of view are ubuntu-budgie-desktop and budgie-desktop-environment so check that these are installed.

The ubuntu-budgie-desktop metapackage was not installed – which I installed. I am going to play with the system a bit before a clean install.

Turns out all the function keys are messed up in 19.04. I did a clean install and the keys are hot, e.g press the F5 and the sound increases whereas in 18.10 it was a Fn+F5. If I can’t get a solution will need to roll back to 18.10.

Sounds linux kernel related.

This? http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2018/02/enable-fn-keys-hp-ubuntu-16-04/

Doing a Fn+ESC did the trick. This must be hardware specific since my other laptop running 19.04 works correctly without this.

1 Like