Adjusting the size of Pixel Saver to fit a new theme

Hey everyone,

EDIT: I was wrong, Pixel Saver wasn’t (or no longer was) the fat-panel culprit. Raven Trigger was.

I’m currently trying to fit Aurora Nuevo (source) to Budgie. Aside from various panel color papercuts, I’ve been having trouble with the Pixel Saver applet. By default, window control buttons appear in a box of their own on the panel, which I solved thanks to this topic by adding to gtk.css:

.horizontal.titlebar { //budgie-pixel-saver applet
background-color: transparent;
border: none;
min-height: 0px;
color: $inverse_fg_color;
box-shadow: none;

& .image-button.titlebutton.close {
        background-color: transparent;
      }
  }

Now, Pixel Saver buttons look properly integrated in the panel.

However, under this theme, Pixel Saver still forces the panel to be rather large. It won’t fit in a 28px or 32px panel (which it does under Budgie-optimized Pocillo, Qogir or Materia) and will cause the panel to overlap the top of windows if set to an insufficient size.

I tried adding the following:

button.titlebutton {
min-width: 0px;
padding: 0;
}

window.ssd headerbar.titlebar {
padding-top: 0px;
padding-bottom: 0px;
min-height: 0;
}

window.ssd headerbar.titlebar button.titlebutton {
padding-top: 1px;
padding-bottom: 1px;
min-height: 0;
}

headerbar {
padding-left: 0px; /* same as childrens vertical margins for nicer proportions */
padding-right: 0px;
}

headerbar entry,
headerbar spinbutton,
headerbar button,
headerbar separator {
margin-top: 0px; /* same as headerbar side padding for nicer proportions */
margin-bottom: 0px;
}

/* shrink ssd titlebars /
.default-decoration {
min-height: 0; /
let the entry and button drive the titlebar size */
padding: 0px
}

.default-decoration .titlebutton {
min-height: 0px; /* tweak these two props to reduce button size */
min-width: 0px;
}

And that did cause titlebars to shrink down, and Pixel Saver buttons to be squeezed horizontally. However, the applet still forces the panel to be large.

I’d appreciate if someone had an idea to fix that. If not, well I’ll just tweak Qogir or Pocillo’s colors.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

suggest run the panel with GtkInspector and look to see what CSS is forcing the larger panel

GTK_DEBUG=interactive budgie-panel --replace

The CSS tab is empty. I’ve tracked down Pixel Saver under the Object tab but I don’t know what to make of it…

Again, thanks for your outstanding responsiveness!

EDIT: I was wrong, Pixel Saver wasn’t (or no longer was) the fat-panel culprit. Raven Trigger was.

I guess that points me back to that Raven Trigger settings thread I should have opened. Will do tomorrow.