Applet: Show clipboard contents in budgie-panel

Every time before I copy or paste I find myself pasting the clipboard to chrome’s URL bar. It would be really useful, if I could see the contents of my clipboard in the panel.

2 Likes

In the meanwhile, if you use plank, you can add the “clippy” docklets to manage your clipboard.
A right click on its icon will show the history of the clipboard.

1 Like

I use clipit which is available in the repositories. It is an appindicator that appears when you run it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, I am now using clippy aswell, but for me it would be better to have it always shown.
In the future I may look in to making it myself.

2 Likes

I had an idea: dump the contents to sysmonitor’s applet.
There isn’t a good way to get contents of the clipboard, but xclip -o dumps the output to terminal.
When adding xclip -o as a sensor to sysmonitor, sysmonitor shows {No output}

2 Likes

RasmusKallas, look at CopyQ features which allows you to have a window of the clipboard history in the foreground, with opacity settings and many others options

1 Like

CopyQ is really great peace of software, but almost every desktop environment have clipboard manager on their own (GNOME, XFCE, KDE…). I think that budgie has to have good one as well, regardless of other options. By the way many clipboard managers projects are death or not mentained…

1 Like

Sadly yes. An example of a native budgie clipboard manager is this project.

https://github.com/zhboner/Budgie-clipboard-manager

It was never finished.

If anyone is interested in forking and completing the project I am sure you will make many people very happy!

2 Likes

I’ll take it on. I’ve always had a few issues with different clipboard managers; how could I possibly pass this up? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great great! Just drop a link to your repo so that we can all follow (and help contribute) with progress.

3 Likes

Sure thing - here you go:

Is this fine, or is there a more suitable place to stick it?

2 Likes

I tried to make it using vala , It’s not Perfect but will make your Clipboard management easier.

To edit variables value you can use dconf.editor

3 Likes

Thanks to @prateekmedia for working through all the issues.

I have packaged up all of @prateekmedia work into an installable package for both 20.04 and 20.10.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntubudgie/backports
sudo apt install budgie-clipboard-applet

Logout and login and use budgie desktop settings to add the clipboard applet to your panel.

Any suggestions/issues and help to develop then let @prateekmedia via the github repo.

If you want to help to translate the applet into your native language then instructions are on the README on github

https://github.com/prateekmedia/budgie-clipboard-applet

4 Likes

Great job. :clap: Kudos!

v1.0.0 has been released by @prateekmedia - this has been uploaded to backports and is also now available to be installed in v0.13.3 version of budgie-welcome

2 Likes